[NA-Discuss] Geographic Regions Statement

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Jan 28 19:58:48 UTC 2011

On 1/28/11 5:02 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt wrote:
> Regarding the Geographic Regions Statement, three points:
>
> 1. Knowing shamefully little about indigenous peoples, I draw your
> attention to those possibly trans-national/regional peoples that inhabit
> the most northern part of our planet. How can the DNS serve their needs?

There is the Inuit Cicumpolar Congress, which includes Siberian
Yupick. A friend of my attended the most recent ICC games (but I
didn't get a tee-shirt). In the north connectivity is difficult as
geo-stationary satellites are very low on the southern horizon. Layer
1 and 2 (physical and link) onnectivity is more of a concern than
layer 3 (routing) and layer 4 (DNS) services.

The Northern European Sami are not ICC participants as far as I know.
In addition to Avri another resource is the director of the Swedish
Museum of Natural History, a non-Sami interested in Sami issues.

But you've asked the right question -- is there a there there (to
borrow from Gertrude Stein's comment about Oakland California) in the
context of regional constructions of similarity of material condition?

I think so, hence the mention I initially made for the Greenland Home
Rule government. Obviously, there are firmly held opinions to the
contrary as well.

Eric