[NA-Discuss] Geographic Regions Statement

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jan 28 06:58:19 UTC 2011

On 28 January 2011 00:08, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> But I do want to bring up the issue of indigenous populations whatever the
> region.  I have been working with indigenous population in Europe, the Sámi,
> for years.  They are not represented in Euralo any more than the populations
> that Eric is referring to are represented in Naralo, though there may be
> individual members of those populations participating

Understood and agreed. As but one small example of the ICANN-relevance of
this: during the At-Large Summit, Karaitiana Taiuru -- a Māori ALS
representative -- helped ensure our working group's understanding,
understanding, and inclusion of traditional wisdom as an alternative
approach to western concepts of intellectual property.

Just as the Island populations are looking for a cross-regional way to get
> representation, is there any value, or interest, in looking at ways to
> obtain cross-regional representation for Indigenous populations.  If there
> is interest in this within the RALO, would this be worth adding to the
> statement?  Something like:
>
> Naralo also supports investigating way to increase the participation of
> Indigenous populations, especially those whose cultural territory cuts
> across regional boundaries.

I am certainly acceptable to adding this to our regional statement. Are
there any objections to this?

- Evan

PS: Many thanks are due to Avri for turning down the heat level on this
debate.