[NA-Discuss] A contribution to a NARALO comment on the ICANN Draft 2011-2014 Strategic Plan
ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Jan 10 17:33:23 UTC 2011
Ten items for your consideration as candidate goals statements for a
strategic plan for the years 2011-2014, ordered by my own sense of
most time-critical to least time-critical.
1. Prudent management of v4 resources, ensuring that public interest
critical infrastructure projects have access to reserved v4 resources,
in all five RIR regions.
See ARIN-prop-123. Reserved Pool for Critical Infrastructure
2. Reduction of economic, ownership and trust barriers to research
access to operational data, and transition from policy making informed
by beliefs to policy making informed by data.
3. Adoption of RPKI.
4. Improved communication with CNNIC and reduction of differences in
the zone files served by the respective root name servers.
5. Transformation from the narrow pursuit of specific exploits that
motivate Stakeholder interest advocacy to systems aware analysis of
the harms to the public interest dependent upon, or targeting, unique
endpoint and routing identifiers, and protocols.
6. Reduction of Verisign market share through further RFPs for
independent applications for new gTLDs, and through changes to the
.com contract creating competition in the .com registry.
7. Initiation of policy development in reference languages other than
8. Return to the definite term, competitive renewal model for registry
9. Transition from market oriented outreach to purposeful engagement
with Science, Technology, Engineering and Medicine curriculum
development, particularly in demographics and in regions lagging in
STEM curriculum availability.
10. Transition of the L-Root to a responsible operator located in Asia.
More information about the NA-Discuss