[NA-Discuss] NA RALO response to DOC letter

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 21:15:10 UTC 2011

Greetings, all.

I am informed by Darlene we took as an action item in our last meeting (in Cartagena) the formulation of a response to the US Dept. of Commerce's letter to Rod Beckstrom on the topic of new gTLDs.

The letter can be found at the following URL:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/pdf4SSmb5oOd5.pdf

In essence, the DOC is saying that ICANN failed to respond to concerns raised in a letter the DOC's NTIA sent two years ago. That letter, much clearer than this follow-up, can be found here:

http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/baker-to-dengate-thrush-18dec08-en.pdf

At issue is an economic study ICANN was supposed to perform to determine if the cost of expanding the number of gTLDs would outweigh the benefits. The commerce department says ICANN's June 16 publication of "An Economic Framework for the Analysis of the Expansion of Generic Top-Level Domain Names" is insufficient, and that the topic needs further study. You can read the ICANN paper here:

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/economic-analysis-of-new-gtlds-16jun10-en.pdf

The December DOC letter takes ICANN to task not only for the paper's failure to live up to what it expected, but also says that citation of data and decision-making process is insufficient, adding up to "bad faith" in light of ICANN's promises to improve accountability and transparency.

What should NA RALO's response be?

For context, here's what Milton Mueller has to say:
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2010/12/3/4694980.html

We can discuss during Monday's call, unless a consensus emerges prior to.

Beau