[NA-Discuss] Summary Minutes NARALO Call 14 February 2011

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Feb 15 22:49:20 UTC 2011

On 15 February 2011 16:46, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> I will point out that the GNSO was quite specific about not requiring that
> all applicants pay the same fee.

Thanks for reminding about this. So it was explicit GNSO policy that ICANN
is allowed to set differential prices, it just chooses not to.

It is also intersting to note

> Implementation guideline N
>
> > ICANN may put in place a fee reduction scheme for gTLD applicants from
> economies classified by the UN as least developed.

So using "may" gives ICANN an out.

> So yes, cost recovery for the entire program, but not necessarily cost
> recovery application by application.  And where is the fee reduction
> program?

Well, JAS was working on that until the Board indicated it would refuse to
do it.

> > Of course, the JAS could stand on principle and insist -- despite the
> > Board's existing refusal and against GNSO policy -- that the price be
> > lowered for economically challenged applicants.
>

> I do not think it is for the JAS to so insist.  The JAS make the
> recommendation to its chartering bodies.  If anything it is for the ALAC to
> insist.  And GNSO, of course, but good luck with that.

Point (well) taken.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org