[NA-Discuss] Notice of Motion: update to ALAC advice on gTLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Dec 18 18:34:47 UTC 2011

Hello,

This message is to announce my intention to move this motion at the
*JANUARY* ALAC meeting.

This is being done in order to enable discussion to take place -- within
ALAC, its gTLD working group, and the RALOs -- to determine the response to
this issue which has been IMO simmering throughout the At-Large community.

We are told by many (and officially by ICANN) that the program is set and
we should stop complaining, But to refuse to express the point of view of
the public interest within ICANN -- even if it is contrary to the
predominant wisdom -- if to fail at the very basics of At-Large's
bylaw-mandated role.

As one of the ALAC representatives for North America it is important for me
to know the NARALO sentiment. As the proposer of this motion I guess my own
point of view is laid bare; but if the region is mostly against it  I will
act accordingly.

- Evan

WHEREAS end-users and governments have only been invited to participate in
the new gTLD program long after its foundation principles were determined;

WHEREAS most of the problems identified by the ALAC in its Mexico City
Summit declaration related to the new-gTLD program have not been
satisfactorily addressed and indeed some have worsened;

WHEREAS numerous complaints from governments, intergovernmental
organizations and other bodies have indicated that law enforcement and
public-protection measures in the current design of the gTLD program are
insufficient;

WHEREAS the ICANN Board, without explanation, has refused the
cross-community endorsement of the Joint Applicant Support Working Group
recommendations to reduce costs of new gTLD in developing economies
independent of any fixed fund;

WHEREAS the absence of a staggered release schedule or a fixed timetable
for future rounds severely inhibits ICANN's ability to correct mistakes in
the proposed application round;

and

WHEREAS ICANN has still not convincingly demonstrated the end-user need or
benefit of a simultaneous launch of hundreds of new TLDs;

RESOLVED THAT the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) convey to the ICANN
Board and community the dissatisfaction of At-Large with the new gTLD
program in its current form, and explicitly advises that its implementation
would be harmful to the public interest. We request that implementation of
the program be suspended until necessary public-interest modifications are
implemented.