[NA-Discuss] Fwd: [CommLawBlog] ICANN's New Uniform Rapid Suspension System

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 13 23:22:07 UTC 2011

> One think that seems evident, as this knowledge becomes more widely
> disseminated, with the prospect of 100's of new gTLD's there will be a
> stampede to to the USPTO who are going to clean up at $275 per.

Hah.  The real price of registering a trademark is more like $1000 and up,
since it is quite rare for an initial application to be accepted as is.

Of course, asking a trademark lawyer if you should register a trademark is
like asking an herbalist if you need some herbs.  Well, duh.

The URS looks like another black hole to me.  As we all know, trademarks
are specific to an industry and geographic area, and registration is
optional, while domain names are not.  It is entirely possible, nay
likely, that a domain name could exactly match a registered trademark yet
have no intent to squat or confuse.

Regards,