[NA-Discuss] IMPORTANT: US Senate hearings on new gTLDs

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 8 21:31:25 UTC 2011

> Now... I don't know if one has to be a US citizen to testify

The US Senate can invite anyone they want to testify.  They can also
compel US citizens to testify whether they want to or not.  But you don't
sign up, they invite you.  I was invited once, long ago, for a hearing
about adware.

> Further to this, I would like to raise the issue as an agenda item on
> Monday's NARALO call and I would like us to consider letting the Committee
> know that there is indeed a group within ICANN that exists to provide the
> voice of Internet end-users,

There is, but of course there's the chronic issue of how much the ALAC
represents the world's users rather than individual vanity domain
registrants.

The chair of the FTC (analogous to the Competition Bureau) isn't too
thrilled about the new domains, either:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-12-08/web-name-expansion-could-be-disaster-ftc-chairman-says.html

Regards,