[NA-Discuss] [ALAC] NARALO statement on pre-registration

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Aug 24 02:15:41 UTC 2011

On 23 August 2011 19:22, Beau Brendler <beaubrendler at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Olivier wrote:
>
> "just to let you know that I mentioned it in AOB - but there was little
> support from Evan, Garth or Alan."
>
> Really? Does the NA-RALO need to have a discussion with its >elected<
> representatives to ALAC about what bottom-up consensus means, and about the
> importance of listening to your constituency?

That's a needless cheap shot.

The documentation from the August 8 NARALO meeting still lists the
pre-registration statement as an action item rather than a closed and
approved doc.

Neither Gareth nor I are -- nor should we be arbiters of whether the
pre-registration issue had reached closure.

As a result, it was brought up as a "what's the state of this?" question for
Gareth and me at today's ALAC meeting, and neither of us had an answer.
Further, it was raised when the meeting was into AOB, more than half an hour
overtime and into its third hour, and there was little patience from anyone
after a gruelling debate over controversial NomCom appointments, JAS,
Strategic Plan and other such stuff. So I make no apologies for an
unwillingness to open a debate at that time about a previosuly-undiscussed
issue about which I did not have any more substantive information than what
was in Beau's letter (my so called "lack of support"). Nor did I personally
think the pre-registration statement to be more important than the other
priority items on the call, which *had* been placed on the core agenda.

This is a stressful time for many in ALAC who are trying to advance some
very serious issues, under awful deadlines, while horribly understaffed and
dealing with summer vacation time taken by volunteers.

If there is a desire to do so, the pre-registration issue can -- and
probably should -- be introduced by mailing list to ALAC members so an issue
can be raised and consensus can be reached -- on the regular agenda of the
next meeting, if need be -- in a less stressful manner.

I'm more than happy to discuss my choice of the priorities that I believed
best served the region and the community at large, either at a NARALO
meeting or elsewhere.

- Evan