[NA-Discuss] The TLD-less NYC

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sat Apr 2 16:52:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

As a very active and vocal proponent of "let a thousand flowers bloom"
I feel i should offer a few words in support for this notion.

in fact the reason i am involved with ICANN is the blooming of a 1000 blooms
- in wgig i said ICANN should quit dithering about and new gTLD should happen now like they long promised.
- and people in ICANN said come put your time where your mouth is - I i didn't and still don't have any money)

I do this with the full awareness that I may get slammed, if ever so politely, for such heresy on the NARALO list.
personally, i always find the polite and civil slams cut the deepest.

I always liked the image of flowers blooming.
Not only are flowers very pretty, each appealing to a different personality type.
many of them are valuable, though sometimes we don't see the value.

i live in a neighborhood where most everyone has the same kind of grass.
and for most people in the neighborhood one type of grass is enough.
and they work really hard
with their poisons and their weed wakers to kill all the nasty weeds.

i tend to cultivate the weeds.
scything around the pretty blooms
to get rid of the common grass.
i like the diversity that the blooms that others call weeds
brings to my world.

so to with new gTLDs.

To be honest, I don't really  see
- why NYC needs a gTLD.
- why anyone would want a .sport
- or who should care about a .mine
   for some value of .mine

but so what?
they think they need one.
or they think someone else needs one.
and that is good enough for me.

in a diverse world, why do i need to understand
i just need to accept that they see a reason.

and the bees and the birds and the other critters,
like my yard better than they like the neighbor's.
lots of places to make a habitat in the city.

and every once in a while something dangerous may happen by, but a dog, a cat and a flashlight to shine on them is usually enough to deal with it.  and sure sometimes I have to call the professional to help with the skunks.  But they would be around anyway, at least in my yard, we know where they live.

and some people think they can produce wealth
from new gTLDs
and good for them.
if someone had  not realized the value of the weed called tomato,
think of how boring Italian food would be.

so i say,
let a thousand flowers bloom
some will thrive
some will die to maybe come back again another year.

as for users and what they need.
sure,
beyond basic food and clean water and shelter and gray sack cloth
we don't need anything else.
or do we?

i need pretty flowers.
perhaps it is just that they suit my vanity
but so what?

a.