[NA-Discuss] The TLD-less NYC

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Apr 2 03:53:31 UTC 2011

> As well, we might facilitate the creation of a local search engine that
> works in a transparent manner, vital in tasks such as facilitating fair
> elections and creating a a level playing fields for local businesses. I
> wouldn't bet my city's future on a do-no-evil pledge from a global
> behemoth.

If it were up to me, and I had $500K to spend, I would spend it on the
search engine rather than on a TLD.  Normal people actually use search
engines.  And I wouldn't have to wait for ICANN -- I could do it right
now.

You also might want to spend some of it on a project to help city agencies
fix up their web sites to make them more consistent and easier to
navigate.  Again, you can do that right now.

Regards,