[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Fri Apr 1 18:12:39 UTC 2011

> What benefits have consumers seen from .PRO, .TRAVEL, .AERO, and .JOBS?
> Be sure to keep in mind that, to several decimal places, no consumer has
> ever heard of them.  Or from .BIZ and .INFO, for which awareness is still
> low but probably distinguishable from zero?

John,

Whatever the success of the past new gTLDs, I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping COM/NET/ORG as the de facto gTLD registration space in perpetuity, blind to the ever increasing number of new Internet users.

The logic behind the "let a thousand TLD blooms" meme from the earlier days of the ALAC was not that we needed a thousand TLDs but that markets would be better than committees at picking the expansion names.

     -- Bret