[NA-Discuss] Summary Minutes 13 September NARALO Teleconference

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Mon Sep 13 20:29:55 UTC 2010

Dear All,

The summary minutes and action items from today’s NARALO teleconference have been posted under:

https://st.icann.org/naralo/index.cgi?13_september_2010

The summary minutes are also attached below.

--
Regards,

Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White, Marilyn Vernon, Kristina Nordström
ICANN At-Large Staff

email: staff[at]atlarge.icann.org
website: www.atlarge.icann.org

Summary Minutes 13 September 2010

Participants: Evan Leibovitch, Seth Reiss, Alan Greenberg, Allan Skuce, Chris Grundemann, Gareth Shearman, Monique Chartrand, Joly MacFie, Eduard Diaz, Seth Reiss, Annalisa Roger, Glenn McKnight
Apologies: Darlene Thompson
Staff: Matthias Langenegger, Heidi Ullrich

Discussion of draft ROP modification
A discussion was held on the draft ROP modifications: https://st.icann.org/naralo/index.cgi?na_2007_1_1rev1_draft_naralo_operating_principles

Rule 17:
The modified rule 17 would require all unaffiliated members to state that they are not employed by or have direct financial interest in an ICANN contractual partner registry or registrar.

It was decided that only the representatives of the individual members are required to be free of financial ties to registries and registrars.

AI: Alan and Evan will work offline to redraft the modification of the ROP rule 17 to ensure that only the representatives of the individual members are required not to be employed by or have direct financial interest in an ICANN contractual partner registry or registrar.

It was decided that the draft modified ROP will be submitted to the ALSes for adoption. There will be an online BigPulse vote. The modified ROP will need to be endorsed by 70% active ALSes to take effect.

Rules 2,3, 4, 5, 6,7,8,9 were accepted as is.

Rule 10
Alan: the current draft modification would allow an ALAC member to serve almos 6 years
Chris: I agree with the intent but I think the rule needs to be rephrased

It was agreed to modify the first sentence of rule 10 to: "These members will serve for terms of two (2) years at most and may not serve more than two consecutive terms totalling more than 40 months."

Rules 11, 12,13,14,15 were accepted as is.

Rule 16:
It was agreed that the first sentence will be changed to:"When an ALS representative does not vote in 3 consecutive NARALO elections or does not contribute a comment on ICANN policy through collaboration on the NARALO discussion list the At-Large discussion lists in 12 consecutive months, it automatically loses its voting rights and active status within the NARALO."

It was suggested that the second sentence of rule 16 shall be changed to something along the line of the following proposed sentence:
"The ALS should be notified of the status change and may regain its voting rights and active status if within the next 12 month it votes or participates to online discussions, otherwise the Chair will submit to ALAC a request for de-certification of that ALS."

Rule 17 was already discussed and rule 18 was unchanged.

Alan: I suggest that we redefine quorum. We define it as 50% of members whereas most ALSes have set it at 30%.

Evan: Rule 16 intents to factor in the notion of active ALSes. The qurorum rule states that the ALS must be active.

AI: Darlene, Evan and Staff will re-draft the ROP within the next week and publish it on the list for a couple of days before putting it to a vote.

The call was then adjourned.