[NA-Discuss] Request to have a Fast Track PDP initiated

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Tue Nov 30 16:35:54 UTC 2010

I too am delighted to see that Danny's back. His concerns and comments
are always thoughtful and detailed. And as I'm sure his proposal will
attract a good deal of attention, I'm going to piggy-back on it and
introduce a related issue.

My attention is on imagining how a TLD could best serve the complex
needs of a global city such as New York, with millions of residents and
hundreds of thousands of employees - we have 8,200,000 residents and
302,000 city employees. To help address a portion of this question, I
recently organized and moderated a City-TLD Governance and Best
Practices workshop at the IGF Vilnius meeting, see report
<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/vilnius-workshop-report>.
In short, that report calls for defining criteria that identify a public
interest city-TLD, undertaking global outreach to identify cities
meeting those criteria, addressing cost issues - especially as they
pertain to cities of lesser wealth,  assigning dedicated ICANN staff for
processing such city-TLDs, and creating a structure for city-TLD
governance within ICANN and/or elsewhere as appropriate. I've copied the
Draft Definition of a Public Interest City-TLD below and would
appreciate your thoughts.

But your thoughts on this Draft Definition is a secondary piggy-back.
*What drove me to post here is the question of the longevity of a
city-TLD* and the domain names it presents. So in the instance of New
York City, how long is its TLD expected to serve the needs of city
residents and organizations? As I don't see a reasonable substitute for
the DNS on the horizon (thoughts on Kahn's Handle System are welcomed),
we must be prudent and find ways to make the names last for generations
to come, in essence looking upon the .nyc TLD as a limited resource in
need of policies to assure its sustainability.

We've created a Sustainable City-TLDs page on our wiki
<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/sustainable-city-tlds>
with a bit more on this topic, but it needs some help. I hope it's not
too far afield from Danny's question and would appreciate your thoughts.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt

Thomas Lowenhaupt, Founder & Chair
Connecting.nyc Inc.
tom at connectingnyc.org <mailto:tom at connectingnyc.org>
Jackson Hts., NYC 11372
718 639 4222
Web <http://www.connectingnyc.org/> Wiki
<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/project-home> Blog
<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/blog/>

      Draft Definition of Public Interest City-TLDs

For Discussion, as of November 4, 2010

Cities are frequently ancient and always complex institutions that
provide basic food, housing, health, safety, and cultural needs for more
than half of humankind. They can best serve their residents and
organizations if they have access to the most advanced technology. Until
now cities have been prohibited from effectively using good Internet
Domain Names, requiring residents and organizations to use national or
global TLDs for local communication. The ICANN's 2008 new TLD policy
opened the door for the issuance of city-TLDs.

The development of city-TLDs as public interest resources will be
transformational, providing cities with a Critical Internet Resource,
and empowering them to develop their digital infrastructure to the
direct benefit of residents and organizations.

The utility of a list of cities seeking the development of public
interest TLDs was expressed at the recent IGF Vilnius workshop on
City-TLD Governance and Best Practices, where the ICANN's chair
suggested that a cities list would facilitate ICANN's operation. The
creation of a definition of a Public Interest City-TLD is a first step
in developing such a list, with outreach to identify interested cities a
next step.

Definition: Public Interest city-TLDs are those which serve the long
term interests of city residents and organizations. They serve those
interests when:

    *

      they use the name-space to facilitate geographic awareness
      enabling residents and organizations to readily locate one another
      to optimize the exchange of services, products, and ideas and
      revivify the traditional networking role of cities;

    *

      they facilitate the availability of civic collaboration tools –
      calendars, maps, mail lists, polling, and other organizing tools –
      making them available for civic benefit on a public access basis;

    *

      they reserve and advocate for the use of domain names for unbiased
      portals for government, civic, and development use;

    *

      they commit a significant portion of their resources to
      eradicating digital divides by facilitating civic collaboration,
      education, and training;

    *

      they allocate names for the civic benefit of geographic sub areas
      (neighborhoods), civic activities, and public issue resolution;

    *

      they provide names in support of all ethnic populations;

    *

      they strive for name allocation practices that will maintain a
      flow of good domain names for the life of the TLD;

    *

      they establish allocation policies that avoid pitfalls such as
      hoarding and typo-squatting using pricing and nexus requirements.

Additionally, public interest city-TLDs are those that:

    *

      are operated in close cooperation with the extant local
      institutions, to provide a secure experience suitable for
      residents, civic, cultural and business organizations, and visitors;

    *

      exchange experiences and best practices with other cities
      operating TLDs in the public interest;

    *

      operate within a broad "urbanismo" framework that considers their
      geographic, economic, political, social, and cultural impact on
      their environment;

    *

      commit to develop appropriate channels for inter-city sharing of
      vital Internet enabled city resources in areas such as education,
      health, safety, and sanitation;

    *

      commit to working in collaboration with relevant local and
      national public authorities;

    *

      commit to engaging all segments of the population in the
      management of their TLDs;

    *

      commit to the allocation of name spaces that promote sustainable
      cities;

    *

      commit to the use of graphic design practices that facilitate
      cross cultural understanding;

    *

      commit to support their city’s branding and external promotion
      activities;

    *

      commit to engage all segments of the population and the technical
      operators of the TLD in a collaborative governance structure.