[NA-Discuss] Homeland Security seizes Domain Names

gbruen at knujon.com gbruen at knujon.com
Sun Nov 28 17:43:04 UTC 2010

There are some things here that don't wash, keep in mind they're from a
statement by the Torrent owner.

I don't believe for a second Godaddy "had no idea" and "do not understand
the situation"

Also to say "it was totally from ICANN" is odd because ICANN has made it
abundantly clear they're not in the business of enforcing U.S. laws or even
holding Registrars accountable for their contracted obligation to obey the
law and to not sell domains used for illegal activity.

His quote implies ICANN can change records at Godaddy without Godaddy
knowing. Not possible.

If their was in fact no court order it explodes the myth that Registrars
need court orders to suspend domains, but that's not what the article says.
It says: "DHS has...executed court-ordered seizure warrants against a number
of domain names." There is your due process, or the beginning of it.

Also, note that this was driven by Customs, so likely the domains were
directly involved in selling/importing counterfeits destined for the United
States.

To conduct this seizure they'd go to Godaddy, not ICANN. Possibly the
Torrent owner feels that ICANN should be protecting his rights and is
blaming them for not.