[lac-discuss-es] [lac-discuss-en] VOTE RESULTS: LACRALO Confirmation Poll - ALAC Representative (2015 AGM - 2017 AGM)

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo en gmail.com
Mar Jul 28 16:02:59 UTC 2015

Thank you Roosevelt. You are absolutely correct.

Best regards

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Roosevelt King <rok en bango.org.bb> wrote:

> Dear Staff,
>

> I question your interpretation of this outcome. Since there was only one
> nomination, the onus is on the “no” vote to win. An abstention is not a
> “no” vote but it is a vote and hence even though not a yes vote, cannot be
> counted as a “no” vote. Therefore the “no” vote must exceed all other votes
> to win. In this case it has not.
>

> Note that this is not a matter of adding the abstentions to the ‘yes”
> vote. There are three results and for any result to win it must exceed the
> total amount of the other results plus one. Note very clearly that this is
> not a vote for more than one candidate where only the yes and no votes
> count. Here is a matter to confirm a candidate and the only way that
> candidate can lose is if the majority vote of the group votes no.
>

> Especially in this case where this is an online vote which gives the
> entire group the opportunity to vote over time. According to our rules a
> quorum is not required for an online vote for the specific fact that all
> members are deemed to be present. Unless a member is deemed inactive, it
> would seem to me that the no vote should be half of the entire group plus
> one and not just half plus one of those voting, where it should not matter
> whether or not all the other members voted yes, abstained or did not vote.
> My understanding is that LACRALO has 47 members. Hence a no vote of 23.5 +
> 1 = 24.5 votes would have to be amounted by the “no” vote in order to win.
> You are not worrying about a quorum because all members are deemed present.
> Even if you did it based on the amount voting, the no vote still loses
> since the requirement would be 21.5 + 1 votes = 22.5 votes and since there
> are no half votes, that would be 23 votes to win because you need 22.5
> votes to  win.
>

> It would seem to me that in the spirit of a democratic and transparent
> process and where one person is to be confirmed, that the onus must be on
> the “no” vote to exceed half of the members of the constituency. For those
> who abstained or did not vote, there is only one consideration and that is
> that if more than half the group did not want to confirm a candidate, they
> would rise up and ensure they voted no. That did not happen in this case.
> Sufficient people did not say no or voted no and hence the confirmation
> process is complete in favour of the candidate. Any other way of
> interpreting this can only run counter to the spirit of democracy and would
> be less than transparent. Actually bordering on unfair and manipulative.
>

> I am therefore calling on staff to recall that message and post a correct
> message based on the fact that the “no” vote needs 23 votes since all
> members are assumed present and a result is based on the majority of the
> constituency because there is only one candidate in the confirmation
> process.
>

> Thanking you for your cooperation.
>

> ROK

Lance Hinds
Chief Technology Officer
BrainStreet Group
287 'C' Albert St.
Georgetown Guyana

This message contains information that may be privileged and/or
confidential and is the property of BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet
Learning. The information contained herein is intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to
receive it . If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or take  any action
in reliance to the contents of this information or any part thereof and it
may be unlawful to do so. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message from
your system. BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet Learning are neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor any delay in its receipt.