[lac-discuss-es] Fwd: Snapshots from ICANN HL Panel in London

Fatima Cambronero fatimacambronero en gmail.com
Lun Dic 16 18:01:47 UTC 2013

Estimados,

Para aquellos interesados en conocer qué sucedió en la reunión que tuvo
lugar la semana pasada en Londres sobre el Panel de ICANN (High Level Panel
meeting), sobre el cual se ha decidido ahora que se llamará “Panel on
global Internet cooperation and governance mechanisms”, pueden encontrar la
información que ha compartido Vladimir Radunovic en otras listas de
discusión, ya que él ha participado en dicho panel en calidad de observador.
Debajo se encuentra el correo que estoy reenviando.

Saludos cordiales,
Fatima

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vladimir Radunovic <vladar en diplomacy.edu>
Date: 2013/12/16
Subject: Snapshots from ICANN HL Panel in London Re: [governance]
[bestbits] press release about meeting of the high level panel
To: "governance en lists.igcaucus.org" <governance en lists.igcaucus.org>
Cc: Best Bits <bestbits en lists.bestbits.net>

Dear colleagues,

here are few lines on my impressions of what happened at the High Level
Panel meeting in London on Friday. I hope it will help us better understand
the intentions and potentials of this (dynamically evolving and
self-reshaping) initiative.

I was there in status of an observer, representing Diplo who was invited
among others by ICANN to provide its expertise and assist the drafting of
report by the HL panel. The Panel event was under Chatham House rule, so I
will try to bring as many details as possible while still respecting this
rule. The views below are my personal, as I saw the discussions and the
process. Besides the impressions below, I (and several others) have been
extensively tweeting with #InternetPanel (read
here<https://twitter.com/search?had_popular=true&q=InternetPanel>)
so you can get a pretty good snapshot of key points in discussion through
that. Formal Press Release has been published and is available
here<http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/high-level-panel-on-global-internet-cooperation-and-governance-mechanisms-convenes-in-london-235789861.html>–
it brings more or less all the basic info on topics and participants
of
the meeting as well as the future timeline.

*HL Group and experts*

Panel includes 21 members listed in the Press Release; additionally, a
final one (Anriette from APC) has been accepted during the meeting in
London to reflect loud civil society requests. Panel is dominated by tech
and corporate sector, with few yet high level representatives of
governments; only now there is a panel member from civil society
organisation.

It was my impression that initially the entire HL Panel was composed based
on “names” rather than on representation of stakeholders; yet it appears
that it was acknowledged at the end that the absence of civil society
organisations can hurt the process. On the other hand, civil society
experts dominate the expert group who is supposed to assist with drafting
the final report – as the agenda in press release shows. As an observer
(replacing Jovan who was invited as expert but was not able to join in
London), I did not have chance to formally raise civil society concerns
expressed on this list and elsewhere, but other experts were involved in
formal discussion. I hope Anriette’s formal presence in future will extend
this direct opportunity.

At London meeting there were most of Panel members, the experts, dozen of
observers assisting Panel members or as guests, and some ICANN staff –
total about 50 people, invited by ICANN. These are likely the people that
will gather also in the next phases of the work. I suppose there will be no
further changes in composition of the panel. I also got the impression the
following two meetings will not be opened for observers rather than those
invited directly or related to panel members, nor there will be greater
transparency during the meetings; instead, it seems public consultations
(primarily on 1Net) will be the public inputs into the work of the panel.

*Task*

The Panel has decided to be titled “Panel on global Internet cooperation
and governance mechanisms”. Their goal is to prepare a blueprint document –
a report – as described in press release. The focus of London discussions
was on mapping the ecosystem and needs, discussing the “desirable
properties” of future system, and agreeing on next steps. While there were
interesting discussions, my impression was that there were very few new
aspects on the table yet. It is my hope that the panel (and especially the
experts who do have extensive knowledge of already-discussed issues in and
various fora in previous years) will reflect to valuable outputs of
previous IGF and other meetings rather than reinventing the wheel. It was
confirmed that the summary of discussion points will be posted to 1Net.org
soon asking for community reflections.

The final draft of the report should be ready during second HL meeting in
US end February; then it should be formally submitted as contribution to
Sao Paolo meeting and Freedom Online conference in Tallinn in April, and
offered for public consultations towards the next draft (not sure if only
through 1Net, but probably will not be limited to that). It is supposed the
draft report will find its place in the Sao Paolo meeting as well. The
outputs of this and public discussions will be fed into the final report to
be wrapped up during the third meeting in Dubai in early May. It should
then be fed into various processes incl. ICANN meeting in London in June,
IGF in September, etc. It is important to mention that the relevance and
legitimacy of IGF was mentioned several times in discussions, and I had a
feeling that the panel and experts are aware that this process should
contribute to (and possibly strengthen) the IGF rather than undermine it.

*Other components*

My impression was that there was distancing by ICANN and the HL panel from
the Sao Paolo meeting. Brazil meeting was mentioned only once at the end as
a place where the report may be discussed – and was mentioned as only one
such opportunity. There was no feeling that Sao Paolo conference is part of
this initiative. At the same time the news was spread that Brazilian
president Rousseff met French President Holland and that France might
support Sao Paolo meeting (I found no direct confirmation for this in news
yet however – pointers welcomed if anyone has).

On the other hand 1Net was mentioned several times as the place in which
public contributions on the draft report should be provided. It was of
course only the reference to 1Net with regards to the HL Panel work, but it
is possible that 1Net was envisaged with a broader goal; there was no
further info however on how 1Net will proceed, nor on its Steering
Committees or further steps.

*Timeline*

The timeline of meetings was presented in the press release as well. Yet
let me combine it here with the updated info on other relevant 2014 events
mentioned and not mentioned in London:

22-25 January, Davos: Side-meeting of the HL Panel during WEF annual meeting

27-28 February, US: 2nd HL meeting

31 March, Dubai (rather than Sharm): ITU WTDC

23-24 April, Sao Paolo: Brazil conference

28-29 April, Tallinn: Freedom Online Conference

3-4 May, Dubai: 3rd (final) HL meeting

I hope this shed bit more light on what this whole new initiative will be
about. It is slightly clearer to me now, though I still have lots of
questions about 1Net. It is my belief that we should try to, whatever the
initial idea behind 1Net was (and also the HL Panel), explore its
potentials to strengthen the IGF and improve communications among
professional (and stakeholder) silos.

Best!

            Vlada

PS Sorry for a rather long email.. I decided to be detailed in this case,
and mention as much as possible.

--
*Fatima Cambronero*
Abogada-Argentina

Phone: +54 9351 5282 668
Twitter: @facambronero
Skype: fatima.cambronero

*Join the LACRALO/ICANN discussions:*
https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/lac-discuss-es

*Join the Diplo Internet Governance Community discussions:*
http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/

*Join to the Internet Society (ISOC): *http://www.internetsociety.org/