[lac-discuss-es] Fwd: User Rights at ICANN Meeting in Mexico

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels en uwimona.edu.jm
Jue Feb 12 15:32:33 EST 2009

FYI, another side of the user rights issue from the Governance list.

Regarding Danny's comment and if ICANN defines and declare rights, then it
assumes an agency function; it has a duty of care to enforce them and
involve itself in the process to redress grievances arising from breaches.
Well, we know enforcement is not ICANN's strong suit.

Picture this. In order to get online, almost every Internet user enters into
a contract, expressly or implied, for goods and services with somebody in
the value chain.  Somewhere in nation states all over! And once you begin to
talk about "rights" within the context of a contract, then folk will
naturally think "justiciable" rights.

I rather suspect the real problem here is ICANN is now left to define
"rights" in such a way that it does not compel - I say compel - ICANN to
initiate juridical action for enforcement, redress or remediation. It cannot
arrogate to itself a sovereign right and role. Neither can it afford to
seriously offend its principal funders. Or, saddle itself with unbounded
liabilities stretching way into the future.

Delicioso!

Carlton Samuels