[lac-discuss-en] Statement from the EDPB on Processing of Personal Data in Light of COVID-19

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:52:36 UTC 2020

The puzzle for me is the source of the great conundrum and hand
wringing-on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand of the name and numbers
community on what is necessary to know and why it is so.

This missive from the EDPB seems to me more than useful guidance about what
is putatively a declarative, broadly commonsensical public interest
concern. As in, for example and in context, DNS abuse! Which by virtue of
examples, is a vital interest of the whole community with more than
sufficient reasons for the community to endeavour to protect the public
interest!

So, by extension, a reasonable mind could conclude that the seemingly
intractable issue we face could be of our own making and fevered
imagination. Emphases are solely mine...

https://edpb.europa.eu/news/news/2020/statement-edpb-chair-processing-personal-data-context-covid-19-outbreak_en?utm_source=Digest&utm_campaign=c296feeb01-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d90a01c7ff-c296feeb01-75103261

The GDPR is a broad legislation and also provides for the rules to apply to
the processing of personal data in a context such as the one relating to
COVID-19.......... Indeed, the GDPR provides for the legal grounds to
enable the employers and .........the competent public health authorities
to process personal data in the context of epidemics, without the need to
obtain the consent of the data subject. This applies for instance when the
processing of personal data is necessary for the employers for reasons of
public interest in the area of public health or to protect vital interests
(Art. 6 and 9 of the GDPR) or to comply with another legal obligation.

Why would [GDPR] Art 6 and 9 not broadly apply to DNS ordinarily and
always?  And why, when the DNS is an instrument for crooks and
garden-variety criminals to fleece the public, would it not be in the
public interest - and a vital interest of the community! - to have an
unerring ability to finger who is behind a domain name utilised for this
effort in general, not just for COVID-19 matters?

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*