[lac-discuss-en] [lac-discuss-es] Actualización ICANN-67 + 2019-nCov

Harold Arcos harold.arcos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:44:00 UTC 2020

[[-- Translated text (es -> en) --]]

Dear region

 We share some updates shared by ICANN, ALAC and
 Regional members on the ICANN-67 Face-to-Face Meeting in Cancun, Mexico.

 * >> ICANN Blog: *
 * An Update on the Coronavirus and Its Impact on ICANN *
 https://www.icann.org/news/blog/an-update-on-the-coronavirus-and-its-impact-on-icann

 * >> Update Excerpt by Göran Marby (unofficial translation) *

 * Meanwhile, I would like to share with you what we know about the
 Current situation. The ICANN organization has convened a team of
 crisis management to monitor the global situation related to the
 coronavirus COVID-19 and assess how it can affect the important work of
 ICANN community, board and organization. To help you
 Prepare for Tuesday's call, I would like to share what we know
 on the situation today: as of February 13, the World Organization of the
 Health (WHO) reports that there are more than 60,000 confirmed cases in 25 countries.
 Approximately 450 of those cases are outside of China. In the moment of
 write this article, there are no confirmed cases anywhere in the
 LAC region. The Ministry of Health of Mexico is monitoring and
 testing two suspicious cases, one in Mexico City (800 miles from
 Cancun) and one in Nuevo León (900 miles from Cancun). The 12 cases
 suspects previously in Mexico were negative and were eliminated.
 Brazilian Ministry of Health is currently monitoring and testing 11
 suspicious cases recently. The incubation period of the virus is still
 unknown, and has ranged between five days and 24 days. Once I know
 Suspect, the virus test can take up to 14 days. As a result
 of the outbreak, the GSMA Board has canceled the Mobile World Congress in
 Barcelona, Spain; and Cisco Australia has canceled its Cisco Live event,
 scheduled from March 3 to 6 in Melbourne, Australia. (We observed that
 APRICOT2020 / APNIC49 in Melbourne has not been canceled.) As
 We consider the potential impact to move forward with ICANN67 as
 planned, we are closely monitoring a variety of factors, such
 as: The development of confirmed cases in Cancun. The capacity of
 health authorities in Mexico to mitigate and effectively respond to a
 case or outbreak. Examples: clear tests and quarantine protocols, and the
 determination of whether patients can be managed in Cancun or if they should
 be transferred to another place. Concern about the sufficiency of
 travel restrictions or health exams for travelers coming from
 The affected countries. The ICANN meetings are attended by contractors and
 participants from more than 150 countries. With cases in at least 25 of those
 countries, there is a risk of taking the virus to Cancun and the site of the
 ICANN meeting. The possibility of a member of the organization
 present the symptoms of COVID-19, which raises concerns that
 they may have infected colleagues scheduled to attend ICANN67.
 potential of an assistant to contract the virus in Mexico and, without giving
 account, return the virus to your country of origin, organization and family.
 risk of a "cruise" scenario in which a case is identified
 suspect or confirmed during the meeting, which requires quarantine
 mass of all attendees and locals. Discrimination or harassment against
 any assistant perceived as coming from countries or regions
 affected (i.e. racial or ethnic stereotypes). *

 * >> Sent by Humberto Carrasco, Tuesday February 18. Göran's Message
 Shared by Maureen (ALAC) to Leadership on the Cancun meeting: *
 The ICANN Board of Directors and the ICANN Organization have just
 conclude a meeting with community leaders on whether the meeting of
 Cancun will take place or not. There were 74 participants in the call. This is
 A brief summary of the call. Recording and transcripts will be
 available soon.

 The meeting included several health experts, who first described
 the global situation and then described the precautions that would be taken
 in Cancun They have no concern about Mexico at this time and the
 The Mexican government itself is monitoring the situation. Many of his
 Suspicious cases have previously been eliminated as non-coronaviruses.

 On-site health facilities
 * The ICANN medical center will have additional health personnel
 (doctors and nurses) to address any concerns on the site, by
 For example, anyone who identifies with a temperature, etc.
 * Hand sanitizers abound, and there will also be masks and gloves
 available.
 * There is a global shortage of masks, so if you can bring your
 own masks of a local supply, do it (preventive measure)
 * individual temperatures should be taken every day to monitor
 any change
 * Any person identified as a potential patient will be transferred from
 Immediately to a local hospital. The medical facilities of Cancun and Mexico
 They were reported as good.
 During the chat I indicated that the majority of At-Large was in favor of
 Continue with the meeting. All other constituencies too
 expressed their support for the continuation of the Cancun meeting, although
 Some leaders watched the KL situation.

 Goran mentioned that if the staff felt uncomfortable attending the
 meeting, this would have an impact because there was a minimum requirement of
 staff to carry it out effectively. At the same time, he said that
 the meetings were for the community and it was also important that we
 let's count

 * The Board will make a decision * at a meeting to be held tomorrow
 *(Wednesday
 Feb 19) at 20-UTC. * We'll know more then.

 regards

 Harold Arches
 LACRALO Secretariat
 +58 4129982820