[lac-discuss-en] Un tributo a Tarek Kamel, la ICANN celebra los 50 años del Internet y más en el boletín de octubre de LAC

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Wed Oct 16 16:48:13 UTC 2019

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]
[[--This message had format issues and was not translated properly--]]

Subject: Un tributo a Tarek Kamel, la ICANN celebra los 50 aà os del Internet y más en el boletín de octubre de LAC
Desde:ICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>

v \\: * {behavior: url (# default # VML);} or \\: * {behavior: url (# default # VML);} w \\: * {behavior: url (# default # VML);} .shape {behavior: url (# default # VML);}

[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]

A blog about friendship
We invite you to read the blog [r20.rs6.net] of our President and CEO, Göran Marby, about his friend Tarek Kamel and share his memories of Tarek in the comments section. Next, we share a fragment of the blog: "In the Swedish language, we have an expression for when a loved one dies: 'I feel his absence in me.' As you know, our dear friend Tarek has passed away and I feel his absence in me."

Albert Daniels, ICANN Senior Stakeholder Participation Manager for the Caribbean.

Analysis of the participation of ICANN in Latin America and the Caribbean
By Albert Daniels, ICANN Senior Stakeholder Participation Manager for the Caribbean

The ICANN Strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) was originally developed by regional stakeholders with the objective of prioritizing areas and efforts in which staff could support the development of the multi-stakeholder community.Perhaps one of the most important projects of this strategy is the systematic analysis of participation gaps in the Latin American and Caribbean region.

The overall objective of this project is to provide an empirical and objective reference to help guide decisions about where participation efforts should be focused, and what geographic and thematic areas should be prioritized in terms of allocating financial and human resources.

This project of continuous systematic analysis began with the documentation of the current participation rates of Latin American and Caribbean stakeholders in the Support Organizations (SO), the Advisory Committees (AC), the ICANN Board of Directors and the Committee of Nominations (NomCom). Similarly, the project monitors the participation of regional stakeholders in leadership positions of councils and working groups.

As a next step, the ideal levels of participation and commitment for each of these areas were defined in order to generate benchmarks that allow closing participation gaps through ICANN initiatives. The results of this study will serve as a basis for decision-making on where participation should be reinforced, such as places for dissemination initiatives and events, as well as to determine in which countries there is a need to increase applications for the ICANN Scholarship Program and the Community-Oriented Regional Dissemination Pilot Program (CROPP).

The members of the LAC Strategy Working Group and the LAC Strategy Council worked with the ICANN organization staff to define success parameters together. By continuously updating this initiative, we hope that our participation efforts will be more relevant and specific, while optimizing the use of the resources of the ICANN organization.

Adiel Akplogan, ICANN staff member, joins the Internet Hall of Fame
Adiel Akplogan was recognized for his outstanding work towards the growth, dissemination and security of the Internet in Africa, joining the prestigious group of prominent personalities that make up the Internet Hall of Fame [r20.rs6.net]. Akplogan is Vice President of Technical Participation and works in the Office of the Director of Technologies of ICANN since 2015. There he develops and coordinates the technical relationship activities of the ICANN organization.The President and Executive Director (CEO) of ICANN, Göran Marby, said:

Adiel is the personification of ICANN's mission: to work in the public interest. Everyone at ICANN congratulates Adiel for this important achievement

.

Mr. Akplogan is a recognized Internet pioneer in Africa, where he contributed to the development of technical capabilities and the implementation of some of the first Internet service providers in the continent. He helped found the African Network Information Center (AFRINIC) and was its first Executive Director (CEO). Mr.Akplogan declared:

We dream of a regional Internet registry that will incentivize the Internet ecosystem in Africa and we work tirelessly to realize that dream, facing our challenges one by one with speed, discipline and courage to generate consensus

.

You can see more information about Adiel and the Internet Hall of Fame here [r20.rs6.net].

ICANN celebrates fifty years of the birth of the Internet
Fifty years ago, a message was sent from a computer lab [r20.rs6.net] of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to another machine at the Stanford Research Institute. The message, sent on October 29, 1969, consisted of the letters "LO". The intention was to spell the word "LOGIN", but the system collapsed after transmitting the first two letters. That first message is considered the milestone that marked the birth of the Internet.

The UCLA team was led by Professor Leonard Kleinrock. The message was transmitted through the Network of the Agency for Advanced Research Projects, or ARPANET, the Internet precursor. On this page [r20.rs6.net] you can see a log of the message sent.

Ready to celebrate this important event in the history of the Internet? Be sure to follow #ICANN on Facebook [r20.rs6.net], Twitter [r20.rs6.net] and Instagram [r20.rs6.net].We will carry out activities to reflect on how much the Internet grew in the last 50 years, and we will listen to some of the pioneers who built the Internet we use today.

Visualization of the development of multi-stakeholder advice from ICANN
A new animated video illustrates the development of multi-stakeholder advice from ICANN.The video identifies the key steps within each of the four advisory committees and presents a general explanation of what happens at each stage, from the identification of the issue to be addressed until the end of the advice. You can check more information and watch the video here [r20.rs6.net].

Updated information on the evolution of the Strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean
On Thursday, September 26, the ICANN team for the Latin American and Caribbean region held a webinar in which it provided updated information to the region's community about the advances in the Strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean. On this occasion, Rodrigo Saucedo, ICANN Senior Manager for Strategic Initiatives in Latin America and the Caribbean, presented updated information on certain regional strategy projects. 28 community members participated in the webinar.If you could not participate, you can access the recordings here [r20.rs6.net].

CARIBNOG18: strengthening Internet resilience
Albert Daniels, ICANN Senior Stakeholder Participation Manager for the Caribbean, accompanied the members of the Caribbean Network Operators Group community during the CARIBNOG18 event. The forum took place in Antigua and Barbuda from September 25 to 27, 2019.During the event, Caribbean stakeholders discussed the improvement of regional participation in groups and events that contribute to Internet flexibility. Mr. Daniels shared his perspective on the Domain Name System (DNS) and trends in new generic high-level domains. Together with its partners, ICANN also advised young people on how to make their voices heard in the Internet ecosystem and highlight the importance of their contributions towards the flexibility of the Internet.
More information can be found in the [r20.rs6.net] agenda of the event.

Rodrigo de la Parra, ICANN Regional Vice President for Stakeholder Participation in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), at the IGF in El Salvador.
ICANN participates in the Internet Governance Forum in El Salvador
The Regional Vice President of ICANN for the Participation of Stakeholders in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), Rodrigo de la Parra, accompanied the members of the Internet community in El Salvador on the occasion of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF). The forum was extended throughout a day and was held on September 11.During the event, Rodrigo de la Parra spoke about the importance of the technical community and the multi-stakeholder model to ensure Internet flexibility, security and stability.
Did you miss the event? You can see more information about the panelists and the agenda here [r20.rs6.net].

Where you come from? A participant identifies her country in the ICANN information post.
ICANN accompanied the Latin American and Caribbean community in Panama City for the LACNIC / LACNOG 2019 event
The ICANN team for Latin America and the Caribbean accompanied the regional Internet community in Panama City, Panama, from October 7 to 11 for the LACNIC32-LACNOG2019 meeting.Each year, the Internet Address Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean (LACNIC) and the Network Operators Forum of Latin America and the Caribbean (LACNOG) work together to organize this meeting, which aims to discuss important issues and find solutions to common challenges related to critical Internet infrastructure. The ICANN regional team talked about privacy in the DNS and collaborative initiatives with law enforcement agencies. It also maintained a more meaningful interaction with some of these organizations thanks to the new initiative of the ICANN information post.See more information here [r20.rs6.net].

Today begins the week of preparation for the ICANN66 meeting!

Mark your calendars! The ICANN66 meeting preparation week comprises seven webinars that will be offered from October 14 to 17 to help the ICANN community prepare for the Annual General Meeting. On the ICANN66 meeting preparation page [r20.rs6.net] you can see the complete list of webinars, topics and materials of the presentations, and details to connect to each session.

The ASO AC opens its monthly teleconferences to observers
>From now on, all teleconferences of the Address Council of the Address Support Organization (ASO AC) will be open to observers in line with recommendation 15 [r20.rs6.net] of the ASO organizational review conducted at 2017. ASO AC teleconferences take place at 12:00 UTC on the first Wednesday of each month.For more information, including the teleconference calendar, observer privileges and details on remote participation, you can consult this space [r20.rs6.net].

New workshop on continuity of operations for small ccTLD operators
At the ICANN66 meeting, the Standing Committee on High Level Domain Operations (TLD-PAHO) [r20.rs6.net] of the Country Code Domain Name Support Organization (ccNSO) will hold a workshop to put its preliminary version of the disaster recovery and continuity of operations manual is tested. The document is a basic guide for the implementation of continuity of operations for small operators of high-level domains with country code (ccTLD).The workshop will be held on Sunday, November 3, 2019 and is open to members of the TLD-PAHO community. Those attending the workshop are expected to participate actively. Pre-registration is required and assistance is limited to a maximum of three people per ccTLD. For more information, contact the ccNSO Secretariat.

EPDP news
In mid-September 2019, the team responsible for the Expeditive Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the Temporary Specification for Registration Data of the gTLDs met for three days at the ICANN headquarters in Los Angeles. The team responsible for the EPDP advanced in the general framework of a Standardized Access / Disclosure System (SSAD) for gTLD registration data without a public nature, which is central to the second stage of the team's work.The EPDP team also met with the President and Executive Director of ICANN, Göran Marby, and with the staff of the ICANN organization in charge of consulting the European Data Protection Committee. More information [r20.rs6.net].

News from the GNSO Council
The Generic Names Support Organization (GNSO) Council participated in the public comment procedure on the next steps to improve the effectiveness of the ICANN multi-stakeholder model [r20.rs6.net].The GNSO Council presented a general description of the status of implementation of an initiative to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of its Policy Development Process (PDP), a project known as "PDP 3.0". The GNSO Council determined which improvements are related to the issues identified in the report published for public comment. Currently, the GNSO Council is reviewing the final documents for the implementation of 8 of the 14 improvements arising from the PDP 3.0 project.In addition to managing the GNSO PDPs, the GNSO Council was working, among others, on the following projects: Define the scope of work on high level domain management (TLD) policies with variants of names of internationalized domain (IDN). Review the recommendations of the Competition, Trust and Consumer Choice Re
 view Team and the Transfer Policy. Provide contributions for the implementation of the updated Independent Review Process for ICANN's accountability mechanisms.For more information on all the actions to be carried out in which the GNSO Council is working, consult this space [r20.rs6.net].

RSSAC Workshop on Root Servers System metrics
The Root Servers System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) recently held a workshop in Reston, Virginia, United States.The main objective of this workshop, carried out over three days, was to advance the work of the Working Group on Metrics of the Root Servers System (RSS), in charge of defining the metrics and measurements of the entire system to ensure The RSS is operational and meets a minimum level of performance. Members of the RSSAC and the RSSAC Expert Group participated in person and remotely. They analyzed the thresholds for availability, latency, correction and slowdown for RSS. The Working Group will present its report to the RSSAC shortly.You can find more information about the working groups of the RSSAC Group of Experts here [r20.rs6.net].

Cooperation between ALAC and the GAC
In advance of the ICANN66 meeting, the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) and the Government Advisory Committee (GAC) discussed policy cooperation as part of a general objective of strengthening the relationship between the two committees.During the ICANN66 meeting, the two committees will discuss the development of a set of resources aimed at expanding the knowledge of new participants about ICANN and how end users are affected by ICANN policies.In addition, the At-Large Working Group for the Unified Treatment of Policies will continue to conduct a more specific discussion with the GAC on issues related to the second stage of the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the Temporary Specification for Registration Data for gTLDs, Procedures Post-Introduction of New gTLDs and the governance of the ICANN multi-stakeholder model.

The At-Large election process begins to fill position 15 on the ICANN Board of Directors
The election process at At-Large began to fill the 15th position on the ICANN Board of Directors. The Committee for the Evaluation of Candidates for the Board of Directors (BCEC) and the Committee for the Selection Process of Members of the Board of Directors (BMSPC) met to discuss procedures and deadlines. The election results will be announced in early April 2020.

The new updated search tool is now available
ICANN recently published an updated version of its search tool [r20.rs6.net] that uses the Domain Name Registration Data Access Protocol, known as RDAP, to query, analyze and display the registration data of Domain names in an easy to use format. The ability to search for publicly available contact information and other information related to a domain name has been provided as a free public service by ICANN since 2013.The RDAP was developed by the technical community of the Internet Engineering Working Group (IETF) as a possible replacement of the WHOIS protocol. ICANN accredited registrars and operators are now required to provide directory data registry services through the RDAP, in addition to WHOIS services. For more information about the new tool, we invite you to consult this link [r20.rs6.net].

Consult the new resources of the UASG
The Steering Group on Universal Acceptance (UASG) has recently published two new reports related to the global acceptance of emails and the internationalization of email addresses (EAI):

Global evaluation of websites for the acceptance of email addresses in 2019 (UASG025) [r20.rs6.net]
The report assesses compliance with the Universal Acceptance of the 1000 most important websites in the world (according to Alex [r20.rs6.net]) by sampling the development practices and approaches of the email field in ways on the web and Your test.

EAI: [r20.rs6.net] Evaluation of the main services and email software (UASG021B) [r20.rs6.net]
This report details the second phase of the UASG project to evaluate and measure the capabilities of Internationalization of Email Addresses (EAI) within the email software ecosystem.

Wondering what UA and EAI mean? The UASG worked with TechTarget to include the definitions in its glossaryWhatIs [r20.rs6.net]. Click here to view it. Universal Acceptance [r20.rs6.net]; Internationalization of email addresses [r20.rs6.net].

José Alberto Barrueto (Cuba)

José Alberto Barrueto has eight years of experience in the information and communication technologies (ICT) sector in his country, Cuba, in his work as legal advisor at the Ministry of Commerce (MINCOM) and the Telecommunications Company of Cuba SA (ETECSA). He is a member of the Carolina Foundation, licensed by the University of León and the National Cybersecurity Institute of Spain (INCIBE), and has a master's degree in Cybersecurity and Digital Law. Mr.Barrueto attended the ICANN63 meeting in Barcelona, Spain, as an ICANN Fellow. He was the first Cuban to participate in the program. He participated remotely in the ICANN61, ICANN62, ICANN64 and ICANN65 meetings. He is currently working with the Working Group on Procedures Post-Introduction of the New gTLDs and the Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG), in addition to participating in the At-large Regional Organization of Latin America and the Caribbean (LACRALO) and in the Regional At-Large Organization of Europe (EURALO).He b
 elieves that it is vital that Caribbean countries participate in ICANN activities so that they can contribute to the maintenance and revitalization of their multi-stakeholder model.

Opportunities to participate: ICANN reviews and evolution of the multi-stakeholder model
Specific reviews [r20.rs6.net] are carried out by teams of community volunteers to assess the performance of the ICANN organization and make recommendations for improvement.All plenary meetings of the teams that carry out the specific reviews are open and accept the participation of observers. They can share their comments and suggestions at any time through the public email list of each team. Details of meeting times and email lists are available on each team's wiki page. These are the next meetings of the teams in charge of the specific reviews:

Third Review Team on Responsibility and Transparency (ATRT3 [r20.rs6.net])
October 20-22 [r20.rs6.net] (face-to-face meeting in Singapore)
November 1 [r20.rs6.net] (face-to-face meeting during the ICANN66 meeting in Montreal)
November 3 (community participation session during the ICANN66 meeting in Montreal)

Second Security, Stability and Flexibility Review Team (SSR2 [r20.rs6.net])
November 1 and 2 [r20.rs6.net] (meeting during the ICANN66 meeting in Montreal)
November 4 (community participation session during the ICANN66 meeting in Montreal)

Organizational reviews [r20.rs6.net] are carried out by independent review entities to assess the extent to which support organizations (SO), advisory committees (AC) and the ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) meet for their purpose and are accountable to their stakeholders, as well as to determine if a change in their structure or operation is necessary.
Invitation to participate in the dissemination session of the Working Group for the Implementation of the NomCom Review (NomComRIWG) at the ICANN66 meeting. In this space [r20.rs6.net] you can get more information.The Final Report of the Domain Name Support Organization with Country Code (ccNSO) is now available. The report is available here. As a next step, ccNSO will prepare its feasibility assessment in response to the recommendations made in the final report.
Check the review status update table [r20.rs6.net] to see the updated progress of all specific and organizational reviews in progress along with links to key resources for each review.

Invitation to comment on the evolution of the ICANN multi-stakeholder model
We invite you to participate in a webinar during the week of preparation for the ICANN66 meeting [r20.rs6.net] to get updated information on the evolution of the ICANN multi-stakeholder model [r20.rs6.net] on 16 October at 16:00 UTC. At the ICANN66 meeting, there will be a plenary session on Thursday, November 7 to analyze the contributions received in a recent public comment period [r20.rs6.net].Session leaders will also provide details on the next steps in developing a work plan to address issues that, according to community analysis, hamper the effective and efficient functioning of the multi-stakeholder governance model of ICANN

The IANA Name Functions Review Team was formed
A global team of 13 members was formed consisting of members of advisory committees, stakeholder groups and support organizations to carry out the first IANA Name Role Review.The IANA Name Functions Review Team (IFRT) will conduct the review according to the scope identified in the ICANN bylaws. You can read the announcement to get more information about IFRT's function, see details about the review and check the list of members here. [r20.rs6.net]

November 2 to 7, 2019
ICANN66 [r20.rs6.net]
Montreal, Canada

[r20.rs6.net]

[r20.rs6.net]

[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]
[r20.rs6.net]

ICANN, 12025WaterfrontDr., Suite300, Los Angeles, CA90094
SafeUnsubscribe â„¢ silvia.vivanco at icann.org [visitor.constantcontact.com]

Forward this email [ui.constantcontact.com] | Update Profile [visitor.constantcontact.com] | About our service provider [constantcontact.com]

Sent by alexandra.dans at communications.icann.org

[[--Original text (es)
Translated by transbot 2.18-2.04
http://mm.icann.org/transbot_archive/b66fd8baff.html