[lac-discuss-en] VOTE ANNOUNCEMENT (EN): Vote on 2019 LACRALO Elections and Operating Principles

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:22:24 UTC 2019

Trying to post this on behalf of Lance - I suspect the text is quite long -
Dev Anand

————-

LACRALO elections for 2019 are due in a very short time.

However,  unfortunately there are areas of conflict between the current
(2018) Operating Principles and the current (2009) Rules of Procedure.

The main areas where the two documents conflict are:
•    The number, names, and roles & responsibilities of positions
•    The new rotation principle

Two options have been proposed to allow the election to go forward without
amendment of the RoP before election.

The first option:

Where there are areas of conflict, the Operating Principles take
precedence.
For example, there will be 6 positions to be filled in the current
elections. These are Chair, Chair- Elect, Secretary, Secretary-Elect, ALAC
member, and the recommendation from LACRALO for NomCom

The election will be run according to the current RoP (Clauses 12,13, 19,
and 20)
The other clauses in the RoP that need to be amended to give effect to the
positions will be amended by October 2019, before the successful candidates
take up their positions in November 2019. They will come into office under
Rules of Procedure that are fully congruent with the Operating Principles.

The second option:
Revoking  the current (2018) Operating Principles, from the instant until
 March 2020, when the Rules of Procedure are expected to be amended to
fully align with the 2018 OPs.
The leadership positions for election in the 2019 election will then be:
Chair, Secretary, ALAC member and recommendation from LACRALO for NomCom.
The new positions (Chair, Chair- Elect, Secretary, Secretary-Elect, ALAC
member, and the recommendation from LACRALO for NomCom) and the rotation
principle will come into effect from the 2020 election.

These therefore are the two questions for the vote:

OPTION 1)

a.- To use the electoral rules of the current rules of procedure which deal
with elections (rules 12, 13, 19 and 20) to elect all leadership positions
(Chair, vice chair, secretary, vice secretary and ALAC member) and to elect
the suggested candidate for the NOMCOM to which the new operating
principles refer, as it pertains to rotation of candidates from the LACRALO
subregions”as  . The current Rules of Procedure will be amended by October
2019, so the successful candidates will take office under these amended
RoP. The electoral process will begin at 23 UTC on May 03.

b.- If this option is chosen, LACRALO will have until the end of October
2019 to approve the correctly amended Rules of Procedure, and the elected
officials will take office under the current Operating Principles and the
amended Rules of Procedure, which will be fully congruent.

OPTION 2)

a.- To Approve the following transitory norm: "The current (2018) LACRALO
operating principles are revoked until the start of the 2020 leadership
elections (March 2020. In the meantime, the old operating principles of
LACRALO will be reinstated, and the current Rules of Procedure will be
amended to be fully congruent with the 2018 Operating Principles"

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 4:42 PM, Lance Hinds <brainstreetceo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am not sure if this is a function of translation, but the language in
> the options is a bit obtuse. Jacqueline Morris is doing some alternative
> text in the interest of clarity.
>
> Best regards

Lance