[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] [registration-issues-wg] [CPWG] Registrants could save lots of money - Verisign Makesthe Case

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 27 06:13:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 00:08, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:

> it appears that following President Macron's call for more regulation,
> many European stakeholders are saying that if ICANN is unable to assume
> regulation of Registry and Registrar contracts in order to protect
> consumers, European countries should introduce local legislation to
> regulate the industry. Sad as it may be, not many people trust ICANN to do
> anything and more and more consumers consider regulation as a good thing.

Hi Olivier,

It should be no shock by now that I am neither surprised nor saddened by
this trend, and the mistrust is most certainly well-earned.

All the times that good people like you and me and Alan and Carlton and
numerous others have tried to impart the value of heeding (or even
acknowledging) the public interest, only to be ignored or belittled, are
finally coming back to bite ICANN on the arse. All of the "who do the GAC
think they are" whining has inevitably been interpreted as invitation for
governments to remind ICANN who is actually sovereign and who just plays at
it.

When threatened, ICANN has always played the fear card, warning that the
only alternative to its industry capture is government capture. That alarm
no longer resonates, as the industry had proven beyond any doubt that it is
not only incapable of self-regulation but also incapable of accommodating
the mitigating forces that would sustain its legitimacy. Whether the
alternative is a multilateral one or individual countries acting on their
own, ICANN has no say in that debate, its goodwill long squandered despite
the best efforts of At-Large and others.

Perhaps, using the only tool that it understands, ICANN should expand the
scope of the committee promoting "universal acceptance" ... pleading the
case not just for new gTLDs, but also the ICANN that made them.

(Meanwhile, the entitlement parade that is the Subsequent Procedues WG
rolls on, eager to inflict upon us a new round of TLDs even less wanted
than the last one. Nothing is learned. Of COURSE trust is gone.)

Cheers,

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56