[lac-discuss-en] [registration-issues-wg] [CPWG] [At-Large] Registrants could save lots of money - Verisign Makesthe Case

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Nov 27 05:07:56 UTC 2018

Dear Carlton,

On 17/11/2018 23:28, Carlton Samuels wrote:
> You couldn't make this up as a racket- a perfect one! - and remain at
> large, pun intended.  Just wish I was hip to it before now.

I have heard this accusation from ICANN critics for many years and
personally do not subscribe to describe it in such a way.
However, in recent times, including speaking to Global IGF and UK IGF
participants who were not involved in ICANN, it appears that following
President Macron's call for more regulation, many European stakeholders
are saying that if ICANN is unable to assume regulation of Registry and
Registrar contracts in order to protect consumers, European countries
should introduce local legislation to regulate the industry. Sad as it
may be, not many people trust ICANN to do anything and more and more
consumers consider regulation as a good thing.
Kindest regards,

Olivier