[lac-discuss-en] [registration-issues-wg] Winners and Losers

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Fri Nov 2 19:54:14 UTC 2018

This is a pretty scurrilous article.  It may not rise to the level of
defamation, but it takes some pretty low blows at Dave Redl and Phil
Corwin, without out any basis other than a hissy fit and a desire to sling
mud.  There’s no money to follow, other than money conjured up through idle
speculation.

This is not surprising.  Prices don’t get frozen forever, and the new
contract still has price caps and controls.  The Trump administration has
been very anti-regulation, pro-business and pro-free markets.  I hate to
admit it, but this is much more likely a philosophically sound, sincere
decision, and not a “corrupt” one, by this administration.  (That doesn’t
mean I agree with the philosophy, just that it is consistent with the
administration’s philosophy.)

The bigger issue is whether NTIA or ICANN could have extracted more from
Verisign in exchange for increasing the flow in the money tap.  But I don’t
think corruption is the reason.

Greg