[lac-discuss-en] Sobre dominio "o.com"

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:14:15 UTC 2018

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]
[[--This message had format issues and was not translated properly--]]

Subject:Re:  Sobre dominio "o.com"
Desde:Alejandro Pisanty <apisanty at gmail.com>

Hello,

In addition to the discussion on the assignment of single-character domain names under .com (such as o.com), this article offers additional information elements. Note the author's declaration of interest at the end:

http://domainincite.com/22986-have-your-say-on-single-character-com-domains

Alejandro Pisanty

Thanks Alberto for bringing the subject to the table.
Thanks Alejandro for giving us the right framework for a good discussion.

I suggest that we make this list a discussion in Spanish initially, let's set a deadline with enough time for the secretary to make a summary of our proposal and be translated into English with the necessary information so that our LACRALO colleagues from other languages can have it in time. So I ask the LACRALO secretary to establish this calendar as soon as possible.I would also like to request confirmation that this mailing list and the opinions expressed in it remain in the record of this important topic (Record) and that if a translation is made, I will have the opportunity to edit it before publishing it. some translations cause me a lot of concern. Under these conditions, and given that Alejandro has given the framework for the discussion, I want to make my comments, limiting myself to two additional aspects to those that Alejandro has given me that seem crucial to me:

1. About the allocation process:

I want to know where the funds for this auction are going to end up. If they end up in the bottom of the auctions of the last round, I have nothing against.Otherwise you have to ask about that topic as much as possible and look for a consensus opinion within ALAC!

2. On the background of the new single-letter TLD (s):
Background: As I participated in the development of the policy for new rounds of TLDs (Subsequent Rounds PDP), I recognize that the opportunity to offer new TLDs is beneficial for all. One of the most relevant results of the CCT Review for me, is that the expansion, more than an increase in the number of registrations, has opened the doors to the replacement of generic registrations towards more specific TLDs.Many new registrations in new TLDs have been made despite the fact that it was available in .com. The main risk of the new TLDs on the other hand, has been the strong tendency to restrict their use based on elements that have not been discussed at the community level, are not based on explicit policies developed within the GNSO and added in the contracts of the records bilaterally. It is more, we do not know yet how it is going to follow the fulfillment of them.As an example I only want to mention the exclusivity restrictions that have been granted to the owners of brands that a
 re now TLDs, as well as the competition for adding public interest commitments (PICs) in many others, to achieve a better evaluation and their delegation.
Therefore: it is my personal position as a member and candidate for a position of choice in this community, that any delegation of new TLDs must be subject to full transparency in the conditions under which they will be able to register domains under that TLD . In these last days a new term has emerged: the intention to use or "intended use".Regardless of whether this is the term that will include in the future all the restrictions or all the public interest commitments of each TLD, it is of vital importance for me to note that my preference is that each and every new TLD have the minimum possible restrictions and are open to any domain registration. This position is based on my deep conviction that the Internet should remain a fully open platform. In this way we must put especialatención to any type of restriction also in the TLDs.
Two major groups of restrictions have already been distilled: on the one hand, the brands, with a degree of total exclusivity, as well as TLDs that designate highly regulated sectors. The economic logic of these restrictions is overwhelming. but that is not the reason why we must stop demanding absolute transparency in its application, since in the end they only help reinforce dominant market positions. On the other hand the exclusive rights geographical designations, such as the codes of two letters and the names of large cities.Not only for the regional exclusivity of the same, but also for the use other than the geographic one that has been given to some combinations of two letters, we must have special attention that these TLDs are not used to abuse market positions (prices!)
This way my opinion on o.com is that if the winner of the auction is going to have a contract with ICANN that guarantees that it is a TLD totally open and free of restrictions, I agree. Otherwise, these contractual restrictions must first pass through the scrutiny of the WHOLE community.I reiterate that this position of a global openness metric also reflects my general position within the Subsequent Procedures PDP. If there are going to be restrictions, these must be very clearly founded. And to date I only know two areas that have that foundation (regardless of whether I agree with it), which are the exclusive use of the marks based on international law and the process of designation and use of geographical names for many reasons beyond that international law that includes the sovereignty of peoples, their cultures and traditions, the human right to free expression, etc.

---
Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez