[lac-discuss-en] RECORDED / 2018 ALAC and RALO ELECTIONS SELECTIONS AND APPOINTMENT

Yesim Nazlar yesim.nazlar at icann.org
Wed May 2 16:25:06 UTC 2018

Dear Vanda,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Your nominations are now recorded.

Thank you.
Kind Regards,
Yeşim Nazlar

From: Vanda Scartezini <vanda at scartezini.org>
Date: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 1:51 AM
To: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>
Cc: LACRALO list <lac-discuss-en at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject: [Ext] 2018 ALAC and RALO ELECTIONS SELECTIONS AND APPOINTMENT

Dear LACRALO member , Dear staff members,

Till now, in this nomination process, what I am seeing is a total lack of gender balance, then I will nominate myself to dispute the NOMCOM position.
 I believe we need a gender balance as well as sub regional balance situation in any election.

About my experience: I am an electronic engineer, with specialization on management and certificate on board managing courses in US and Brazil. I have been quite a while in ICANN, as majority of you already know, but my experience goes also out of ICANN in board positions of Not for Profit organizations, as chair and member, participating in the selection process for CEOs and other Board members.  For the other side, I have also been chair of NOMCOM back in 2012, member as well, and recently, though not in any formal position, I was member appointed by ALAC to the NOMCOM review, now in the final report.
Nowadays I have been work just in the CCWGs (ALAC review, Intercultural Awareness, Outreach and Engagement, Auction Proceeds, NOMCOM review and  New gTLD Subsequent Procedures) +   LACRALO Governance working group together with other colleagues, though acting as a “rapporteur” just to facilitate the progress of this working group and in the Mediation group.
I was member of LACRALO Strategy till last election now a place where Sergio Salinas is our representative. And guess you all also know,  I am responsible for DNS Women, a not for profit organization nowadays with almost 400 members (not paid members). The DNS women events during ICANN meeting is sponsored each time for one company, though they pay just for food and drinks. It is up for our group to fight for such sponsorship and organize the event. ICANN doesn’t pay nothing for that, though several staff members as  Tanzy, Tereza, Michelle, Gisela, Heidi and others always help in the organization.
I will certainly state my Expression of Interests formally during the adequate period.

I am also seeing other positions where there is just one candidate. This is not good for a democratic election.
Unhappily I am seeing just Tracy from the Caribbean, as the one wanting to participate in this election. Hence, I will also nominate Tracy Hackshaw to ALAC position and to the Secretary Position - it will be for him to accept or not.
I believe we need to have a member of Caribbean among LACRALO positions in order to start to run in a way closer to what we had agreed during the Mediation. Even if it is not implemented yet, the concept of rotation and sub regions is quite relevant.

Considering also the lack of gender balance and I believe Maritza has been a very effective Secretary, then I would like to also nominate Maritza to ALAC position. Again, is for her to accept or not the nomination.

I hope we can have in all position at least 2 candidates to exercise a very democratic and competitive election.

Kisses to all

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004