[lac-discuss-en] Sobre GDPR

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:00:42 UTC 2018

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

Subject:Re:  Sobre GDPR
Desde:Alejandro Pisanty <apisanty at gmail.com>

Hello,

Alberto has identified a problem of interest with ramifications of potential interest (vide infra). Before a working group with more members is formed than LACRALO has, as recent calls to ratify memberships show us:

1. GDPR has very little impact on ICANN's area of interest in our region and from the point of view of At Large.It affects more registrars and registrations of domain names and potentially to e-commerce companies, banks, etc.

2. A very different second impact of GDPR comes from the "whois" side, which is being discussed in general in ICANN. Our representatives are having a very pale participation and we do not have any reports about them. Internet users in LAC, including many LACRALO members and members of ALS, do use whois actively for their work and it will become much more difficult if access to the information that currently allows them is reduced.They are the members of LACRALO who actively investigate and resolve attacks of spam, phishing, attacks on the honor and reputation of people and organizations, intellectual property, etc.

3. For this working group to be formed, it would be sensible to require certain conditions:

to. to formulate a "charter", a mandate, with specific plans (Alberto does this very well, he has already shown it repeatedly)
b. that the membership is limited to no more than 7 people
c.that each candidate to integrate makes a SoI ("statement of interest" or statement of interest) in which he pays his knowledge of the matter and the way in which he will serve the community in the working group.

These conditions would be very valuable for the groups that I mentioned in the first paragraph. The organization that I represent would be interested in participating if the conditions that allow the work group to be productive were met.Our SoI: knowledge of the subject as it is being studied in terms of whois and ICANN, on the one hand, and to see the impact of the GDPR on clients of law firms that are members of the Internet community. Service: we will request information and feedback from the members as well as what we are collecting in events and direct interactions with stakeholders, and we will contribute with the results to propose LACRALO positions with impact beyond the region through ALAC and other forums.

Alejandro Pisanty

Thanks, Humberto, I will do it.I hope the volunteers for this WG.
Best regards
Alberto Soto
Sent from my iPhone