[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC-Internal] About member NOMCOM

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:06:40 UTC 2018

When I take my leave of LACRALO activities, be sure it is to preserve my
good health. Because vexations to the spirit tends to debilitate one's
health and well-being.

Ignorance is a blight on conscience. But intellectual dishonesty does
violence to useful thought. I do declare I have no use for either of them.
And they vex my spirit equally.

It appears my friend Alberto was reporting some concerns reported to him.
I'm grateful he's brought it into the light. Because light is indeed the
best disinfectant. The idea that a person who makes a living in the public
sector cannot represent the interests of end users and commit to the ideals
to which we are severally committed is a stinker and defies reason. In the
Caribbean space we understand that. And I'm available for a master class
anytime.

All of us, myself included, wear many hats in any given period. Tracy is a
public sector employee. And at one time as a senior technocrat, he was the
representative of the government of Trinidad & Tobago to the GAC. He has
since moved on from that instructed position. He still makes a living as a
contracted employee in the public sector.  But he does not represent the
government of Trinidad and Tobago in any fora.

Tracy is also the Chair of ISOC-TT, duly organized and registered as a
non-governmental organisation.

Tracy is also a member of the Trinidad & Tobago Multistakeholder Advisory
Group (MAG).

Choose the lens through which you wish to view him.

The larger question remains and I now make this declaration. Whether Tracy
was tinker, tailor, soldier or spy, so long as he subscribes to the values
and commitments of the At-Large in general and LACRALO in particular, he
and his organisation, ISOC-TT, is worthy of representation and, to
represent.

And while we're at it, should we be concerned that those of us who receive
income from state-supported institutions are compromised? Or that the
attorneys among us who represent, time and again, commercial interests for
fee are similarly compromised?  Should we be bothered  that concerns will
be raised about the validity of ALAC decisions given my friend Javier Rua's
previous employer?  How about my friend Lito Ibarra's role as a LACRALO
member in good standing even as he is a member of the ICANN Board?

I hope and trust this is an aberrant action, not a hanging chad from
previous LACRALO behaviours we want to put behind us. Whatever it is, I am
unalterably opposed and shall oppose this incurious litmus test.

Do be so advised.

-Carlton Samuels
The University of the West Indies

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*