[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jul 12 14:51:35 UTC 2018

Dear Christian,

On 12/07/2018 11:40, Christian de Larrinaga wrote:
> Worth pointing out this note is proposing a tax basis for DNS not a cost
> recovery mechanism. Who gets this tax revenue? Who gets to set it? ICANN
> does not have the credentials.

IMHO the "cost recovery basis" is a red herring for the simple reason
that it is impossible to calculate what a TLD will really cost ICANN in
the long run. Is it just the cost of processing the application, or is
it the cost of fixing problems related to that TLD such as the need to
have more ICANN compliance staff for more TLDs with a higher than normal
amount of misuse of domains under that TLD?

The ICANN model is already a tax revenue model where ICANN taxes every
domain sold and Registries, Registrars and their agenda collect that
money on behalf of ICANN pretty much like VAT.

What about setting higher application fees for brand TLDs? I gather that
the place to discuss this is the subsequent procedures PDP, if that has
not already been discussed.
Kindest regards,

Olivier