[lac-discuss-en] Motion presented by Alejandro Pisanty - "Operating Standards for ICANN Specific Reviews"

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:32:20 UTC 2018

Thanks for the clarification Alejandro.  Your resolution seems to suggest
disqualifying SO/ACs from selecting RT members. If this is removed from
SO/ACs, it goes to ICANN the organisation, no?  So I extracted the
obligations of ICANN org in what is proposed:

ü  Timely publication of call for volunteers;

ü  Determining the need to extend the call, in case of insufficiently
diverse or skilled pool of applicants;

ü  Assure that each applicant indicates which SO/AC from which they seek
nomination and encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with the work
and leadership of the SO/AC from which they seek nomination

ü  Provide a non-binding assessment of the skillset of each of the
applicants relative to the skills and experiences identified in the call
for volunteers;

ü  Provide each SO/AC with a list of those applicants who have sought their
respective nomination, including all application materials, and the
non-binding skillset assessment;

ü  Coordinate the meeting of SO/AC Chairs for the final selection of the
review team.

The call for volunteers must:

ü  Include a mandatory field for candidate to indicate which of the seven
SO/ACs from which they seek nomination.

ü  Include a Statement of Interest (SOI) to be filled in by every candidate.

ü  Solicit information from applicants regarding their skillset and
experience, relevant to the review.
Set an expectation that a review team member may be asked to execute a
nondisclosure agreement.

I highlighted the duties of ICANN org that is being proposed because even
as I am for diversity and how that is achieved, I'm concerned about a
concentration of power.  Would your proposal not concentrate power
unconditionally in ICANN org?

Best,
-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment &
Turnaround*