[lac-discuss-en] [registration-issues-wg] [CPWG] Speaking of the WHOIS Dataset

Theo Geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 15 14:10:30 UTC 2018

Thanks Carlton,

Imagine if eight years ago we would have explored contractual
requirements for EV or OV SSL certification for websites engaging in
commercial or business related activities and so on.

Internet users could verify a webshop by merely checking the EV SSL
certificate, verified and validated by a certificate authority.
Rather than digging into some ancient WHOIS protocol with inaccurate or
outdated legacy data, an internet use could verify the certificate and
get all the relevant company data by clicking the SSL lock icon in their
browser.

Below URL explains the difference between OV and EV very quickly. Also
highlights how verification and validation are done and what
documentation is required for validation.
https://ssl.comodo.com/articles/the-ssl-certificate-domain-validated-organizational-validated-or-extended-validated.php

Best,

Theo Geurts