[lac-discuss-en] Voto ALAC sobre KSK

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 5 05:16:50 UTC 2018

Alejandro,

This was one of the most extensive debates, first
in San Juan, and then online, that I can recall
in At-Large. And quite reasonably since this may
have significant effect on the users whose
interests we represent. The Wiki printout runs 18
pages. There were at least 4 draft statements
prior to the final one. The issue was then
debated during the ALAC meeting on 27 March, and
the decision was made to go with a short and
clear statement which identified a number of issues and needs.

I drafted the final version and passed it by the
ALAC and regional leaders. Despite a very tight
timeline, I received confirmation of support from
10 of the remaining 14 ALAC members (including
all three from LACRALO) prior to submission.

There was no conscious decision to exclude those
words. I drafted what I thought was reasonable at
the time, and no one suggested any edits.
Although the there is no explicit reference to
ALSes, it was well understood by all in the
discussion that this was a path we would follow
once we have access to the right materials.

Starting from a position with a large split in
the community, we ended up with what I hope is an
excellent statement that has wide support and one
that I believe will have significant impact. It
exemplifies what At-Large can do when there is an
important issue at hand and it is one we should all be proud of.

Alan