[lac-discuss-en] [registration-issues-wg] ICANN Compliance Statement on impact of GDPR on WHOIS Obligations

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 18:23:23 UTC 2017

Um, seems we have a problem with the metaphor, Michele.   Here's a hint (*my
emphasis*):

"During this period of uncertainty, and under the conditions noted below,
ICANN Contractual Compliance will defer taking action against any registry
or registrar for noncompliance with contractual obligations related to the
handling of registration data. To be eligible, a contracted party that
intends to deviate from its existing obligations must share its model with
ICANN Contractual Compliance and the Global Domains Division. *To the
extent that the party requests confidential treatment,** ICANN will remove
any identifying information and share only the elements of the model with
the Hamilton law firm for the purpose of legal analysis against the
requirements of the GDPR. The model should reflect a reasonable
accommodation of existing contractual obligations and the GDPR and should
be accompanied by an analysis explaining how the model reconciles the two.
For clarity, Contractual Compliance would not defer enforcement if, for
example, a contracted party submitted a model under which it abandoned
its WHOIS obligations. In addition, a model that satisfies the conditions
noted here might also require compliance with other contractual obligations
or consensus policies, e.g., the Registry Services Evaluation Policy
(RSEP). A model may also require further modifications if it is later
determined not to comply either with the GDPR or any future
community-developed policy.*

Detailed guidance regarding the process and eligibility requirements will
be provided shortly.
​"

-Carlton​

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment &
Turnaround*