[lac-discuss-en] Geographic Names at Second Level

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 19:08:29 UTC 2017

FYI

·       Advice issued since 2014 was instrumental in shaping the Authorization
Process <https://www.icann.org/resources/two-character-labels-archive>
developed by ICANN for processing requests by New gTLD Registry Operators
to release two-character labels at the second level, which including
notification of government and the consideration of their comments.

·       On 8 November 2016 the ICANN Board authorized
<https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2016-11-08-en#2.a>
the relapse all Two-characters labels at the second-level in New gTLDs with
new approved Measures to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country-Codes
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/revised-measures-ltr-ltr-two-char-ascii-labels-country-codes-08nov16-en.pdf>
.

·       On 16 December 2016, the ICANN Organisation issued a blanket
authorization
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/two-character-ltr-ltr-authorization-release-13dec16-en.pdf>,
effectively retiring the former Authorization Process.

·       A survey[1] of GAC Members (32 respondent representing 45% of world
population) showed strong reservations on how GAC Advice and comments by
governments were taken into account, as well as on the appropriateness of
the approved measures to avoid confusion.

Best regards