[lac-discuss-en] Elections in May

Humberto Carrasco hcarrascob at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 03:14:19 UTC 2017

Dear LACRALO members,

We would like to seek your opinion on the LACRALO Regional Leader election
schedule.

As earlier noted, it would be very useful if LACRALO’s Regional Leadership
election schedule could be synchronized with that of the other RALOs and
the ALAC. Doing so would allow the NomCom to know which ALAC and RALO
leaders will be in elected leadership position in time to take this into
account in selecting NomCom positions. It would also allow At-Large staff
to support us more efficiently.

Below are two options. We believe that both options must be voted by
LACRALO members. However, we would like to ask for your views on which
option you prefer with your reasoning for your selection:

*T**he first option is to hold the elections in May with full
synchronization achieved at ICANN 60*

In this case the Regional Leadership election would need to take place
during May rather than February. The elected leaders would then take their
positions immediately after the close of the 2017 Annual General Meeting
(ICANN 60).  This would mean that the currentLACRALO Chair and
Secretariat would stay in their positions through ICANN 60. This would
allow for a transition period if new leaders are elected. Both current and
incoming leaders are provided with travel support for the Annual General
Meeting.

*The second option is to hold the elections in May with
full synchronization achieved ICANN 63*

In this case the Regional Leadership election would need to take place
during May rather than February. The elected LACRALO leaders will take
their positions immediately in June 2017. The newly elected leaders would
take their seats the 1st of June 2017 with a term ending at the 2018 Annual
General Meeting at ICANN 63. Their travel support would start in June for
ICANN 59. This is an intermediate solution where the full synchronization
occurs in ICANN 63.

We would appreciate hearing your views by 13 March 2017. After that, we
will open a voting process in order to decide what is the best option for
our RALO.

Regards,

Humberto Carrasco - Chair

Maritza Agüero - Secretary