[lac-discuss-en] Consensus on ratification of RALO Statement

Maritza Y. Aguero Minano myaguero at msn.com
Thu Apr 6 12:07:18 UTC 2017

Dear All,

The RALO Statement on the At-Large Review Draft Report has been submitted to the ICANN Public Comment and it is available (including its Spanish version) for download directly on: https://go.icann.org/2o5KZxY.

Below is a summary of the positions in the Statement:

- The Review contains parts of analysis that are flawed.
- The RALO-ALS structure might appear to create layers and barriers but actually promotes the contribution of members when run correctly.
- Local ALSes provide language support for policies.
- 3 out of 5 RALOs already provide for individual users to get involved directly and the remaining 2 are working on mechanisms for individual user engagement.
- Participation in working groups is possible for any member, whether through an ALS or directly.
- We therefore do not believe that the Empowered Membership Model as it is currently designed would be of benefit to the Community - especially since it would mean such a disruption to At-Large.
- We also do not support the use of the Nominating Committee to select a pool of candidates and a random selection for Seat 15 as it completely takes away your ability to choose a candidate for the ICANN Board.
- We agree with some of the other recommendations are they would really help improve the effectiveness of our community's work

So far, all the other four RALOs have ratified the Statement either through consensus or formal votes.

With this message, we are initiating a Consensus Call of the LACRALO to ratify the RALO Statement on the At-Large Review Draft Report. This urgent Consensus Call will end at 23:59 UTC on Thursday, 06 April 2017.

If there are any questions of comments, please direct them to either this list or to us directly.

Although messages indicating support are welcome, they are not necessary. This Consensus Call will be deemed to have succeeded in the absence of
significant opposition.

Best regards,

Humberto Carrasco - LACRALO Chair

Maritza Aguero - LACRALO Secretariat