[lac-discuss-en] Outreach and Engagement SC

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 23:35:10 UTC 2016

Dear All

Just to repeatedly clarify:

- the call for persons to join the Outreach and Engagement SC (O&E SC
- https://community.icann.org/x/cqfbAQ) was posted to LACRALO
(http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-July/012871.html)
and various persons in LACRALO responded to the call. The LACRALO
Outreach and Engagement SC confirmed the ideas for the strategy, then
posted this strategy for comment to the LACRALO list
(http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-September/013480.html).

The only comments received from the LACRALO list were from
- Alejandro Pisanty -
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-September/013513.html
- Alberto Soto -
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-September/013515.html

I replied to those comments
- http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-September/013559.html
- http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-September/013560.html

and the strategy updated based on the comments received. There being
no further comments, the strategy was filed at
https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy16/LACRALO+Outreach+Strategic+Plan
and the LAC members on the Outreach and Engagement SC are attempting
to fulfill that strategy.

One of the activities of the O&E SC is an events calendar to track
possible regional outreach events - the LAC Outreach events calendar
is at http://bitly.com/LAC-Outreach-Calendar
If you are aware of possible events that could be possible outreach
events, please suggest them to Bartlett Morgan
bartlett.morgan at gmail.com or Jose Arce josefranciscoarce at gmail.com so
that this calendar can be updated.

Anyone in LACRALO, any ALS representative that cares about the goals
of the Outreach and Engagement SC are more than welcome to join the
Outreach and Engagement SC by emailing staff at atlarge.icann.org
The O&E calls have Spanish interpretation given the presence of
several persons from LACRALO. The calls are open for anyone in
At-Large to attend.

Outreach and Engagement SC wiki: https://community.icann.org/x/cqfbAQ
Outreach and Engagement SC meetings:
https://community.icann.org/x/2Ig3Ag - you can find recordings,
transcripts of the meetings.
Outreach and Engagement SC Monthly Reports:
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALAC+Subcommittee+on+Outreach+and+Engagement+Monthly+Reports

It is unfortunate that persons in LACRALO aren't following the
At-Large Working Group activities and therefore not understanding the
Working Group activities. Given that At-Large Working Groups are
opportunities for At-Large to participate, I strongly suggest that the
At-Large Working Group activities be a standard agenda item on the
LACRALO monthly calls in a manner similar to the Policy Updates.

Finally, just to note regarding the CROPP applications, I as
representative on the CROPP Review Team and as a member of the then
Outreach SC, I have worked with the RALO chair and secretariat
(Alberto Soto and Humberto Carrasco) and other LACRALO representatives
since the inception of CROPP. For example:

- the conference call with Alberto, Sylvia, Humberto, Leon, Fatima,
and Juan Rojas (as the CROPP rep from LACRALO) on April 9 2014 re: the
ideas for the trip for Alberto Soto and Sylvia to go to DR and Haiti
https://community.icann.org/x/bDbRAg
- the numerous emails between Alberto Soto, Humberto Sylvia to make
the trips to DR and Haiti from the vague ideas into a practical
proposal that could have been done under the CROPP guidelines (using 4
out of 5 travel slots)
- the emails with Alberto and Humberto to confirm the other CROPP
proposal for Carlton Samuels to go to Suriname (using the 5th travel
slot).
- the numerous emails between for the proposal for Alberto Soto and
Diego Alfonso Acosta Bastidas to go to Cuba to make that idea of a
trip into a practical one that met the guidelines of CROPP.
- notifying LACRALO of the possibility of using CROPP proposals for
attending ICANN F2F meetings for ICANN53 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
(http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2015-May/012382.html)
in which several persons from LACRALO applied.
- having a call with Alberto Soto and Humberto Carrasco
(https://community.icann.org/x/lok0Aw) to decide from the multiple
applications from LACRALO for Alberto Soto and Humberto Carrasco to
choose which CROPP proposals would be sent (which was Sergio Salinas
Porto, Jose Salgueiro and Carlton Samuels) to the CROPP RT for the
travellers to attend ICANN53.

In ALL of these cases, the LACRALO chair and secretariat were
consulted before the applications were filed to the CROPP RT and then
to ICANN GSE for their approvals. This has not changed.

Kind Regards,

Dev Anand Teelucksingh
LAC Outreach and Engagement SC co-chair