[lac-discuss-en] The election motion... Has failed to pass.

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Wed Sep 16 03:24:53 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues
I've thought deeply on this, reread the working and final  documents from
2006 and 2007, and have  come to some very certain conclusions.

The Secretariat is the position under which the ultimate responsibility for
these calculations resides. The fact that we have not heard from Humberto
on this issue is troubling. Staff are available to assist the Secretariat
and Chair, but cannot bear the responsibility to the membership, as they
are not the ones that we voted to hold such.

I also believe that the consequences of the correct calculation of the vote
should be spelled out so that there is no confusion.

Given the very clear intent of the rule, it is obvious that as a
consequence any motion (including motions for elections) CANNOT  be passed
if the weighted vote by ALS representatives that abstain or do not vote is
more than 50%.

Hence, I believe the motion to elect an ALAC representative has failed.
I look forward to the next steps, and I hope that these, unlike the
previous, will adhere to both the letter and spirit of the Rules of the
LACRALO as drafted and duly approved.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann <http://twitter.com/chrislehmann> )
On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Jacqueline Morris <jam at jacquelinemorris.com