[lac-discuss-en] LACRALO Elections - The Matter of Bigotry

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:04:26 UTC 2015

Well said Carlton.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is really irritating to hear about and see Caribbean efforts described
> - in face-to-face conversions as well as intimated online - as one looking
> for handouts.
>
> This is about the rules.  And respect for the rules. And by so doing,
> respecting all of us.  And when our rights are abridged, we shall respond.
> Fiercely too, if we must.
>
> I see one of our colleagues under attack for calling these attacks
> plainly, bigotry <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry> [
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry].  That is his judgment and he has
> an absolute right to discomfit those who carry that seed. We are different
> people with different styles of engagement. But make no mistake, we know
> when a hand is raised against us. And, what we must do.
>
> There are no sacred cows. At least not where reason lives.
>
> It was a watershed moment for me when one of my longtime colleagues, the
> hardest worker among Caribbean ALS representatives, one who is slow to
> anger, describe the situation as us being treated as if we were, literally
> and figuratively, slaves!
>
> I am responsible for the original draft of the LACRALO Principles and the
> Rules of Procedure.
>
> The original version of the Principles and Rules of Procedure were
> finalized with the assistance of Nick Ashton-Hart, then [ICANN] Director of
> At-Large.
>
> Ditto the revised 2008 version that created the role for a permanent Chair.
>
> This narrative that claims 'we do not understand the rules' is as
> long-running as it is incredible.  The ONLY suggestions for change from
> those who claim lack of understanding was an attempt at Costa Rica to
> create more LACRALO posts with titles and to discriminate against Internet
> users depending on where they live.
>
> One or other of us have been involved in all the heavy lifting. There was
> a time when the only ones we could call on to do real work were Andres
> Piazza and Carlos Dionisio Aguirre. Add Fatima Cambronero to that list.
> Those were the days Carlos was just learning English. We saw the struggle
> and how determined he was to participate. So we formed a principle; we will
> never support discrimination based on language or language proficiency.
> People will grow.
>
> Contrary to what the bigots would say,  the UWI ALS and other Caribbean
> ALS have supported and voted many Latins as representatives and leaders.
>
> I have voted and supported, among others, the following persons:
>
> Carlos Dionisio Aguirre, Jose Ovidio Salgueiro, Sergio Salinas Porto,
> Fatima Cambronero, Natalia Enciso, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Jose Arce,  and
> Juan Manuel Rojas.  Yes, some more enthusiastically than for others.
>
> At that much maligned and fabricated Mexico City GA, the UWI ALS cast its
> vote for one Sergio Salinas Porto.
>
> The record will show the UWI ALS is the only Caribbean ALS to ever vote
> [...]

Lance Hinds
Chief Technology Officer
BrainStreet Group
287 'C' Albert St.
Georgetown Guyana

This message contains information that may be privileged and/or
confidential and is the property of BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet
Learning. The information contained herein is intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to
receive it . If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or take  any action
in reliance to the contents of this information or any part thereof and it
may be unlawful to do so. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message from
your system. BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet Learning are neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor any delay in its receipt.