[lac-discuss-en] VOTE NOTICE: 2015 VOTE FOR REPRESENTATIVE LACRALO ALAC / 2015 VOTE FOR REPRESENTATIVE TO THE LACRALO ALAC

Humberto Carrasco hcarrascob at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:31:23 UTC 2015

Dear Jacqueline,

To further clarify our position, we want to explain the nature of what
is a point of order.

The UNGA Rules of Procedure, in particular, Article 79 of Annex IV (a)
of the Rules of the General Assembly, gives a concept of what a point of
order:

79. The Special Committee recommends to the General Assembly the
adoption of the following text as a description of the concept of a
point of order [para. 229]:

*_"(a) A point of order is basically an intervention directed to the
presiding officer, requesting him to make use of some power inherent in
his office or specifically given him under the rules of procedure_*. It
may, for example, relate to the manner in which the debate is conducted,
to the maintenance of order, to the observance of the rules of procedure
or to the way in which presiding officers exercise the powers conferred
upon them by the rules. Under a point of order, a representative may
request the presiding officer to apply a certain rule of procedure or he
may question the way in which the officer applies the rule. Thus, within
the scope of the rules of procedure, representatives are enabled to
direct the attention of the presiding officer to violations or
misapplications of the rules by other representatives or by the
presiding officer himself. A point of order has precedence over any
other matter, including procedural motions (rules 73 [114] [Rule 71
[113] of the present rules of procedure] and 79 [120] [Rule 77 [119] of
the present rules of procedure]).

"(b) Points of order raised under rule 73 [114]n involve questions
necessitating a ruling by the presiding officer, subject to possible
appeal. *They are therefore distinct from the procedural motions
provided for in rules 76*[117] [Rule 74 [116] of the present rules of
procedure] to 79 [120]o which can be decided only by a vote and on which
more than one motion may be entertained at the same time, rule 79 [120]o
laying down the precedence of such motions. *_They are also distinct
from requests for information or clarification, or from remarks relating
to material arrangements (seating, interpretation system, temperature of
the room), documents, translations, etc., which - while they may have to
be dealt with by the presiding officer - do not require rulings from
him. However, in established United Nations practice, a representative
intending to submit a procedural motion or to seek information or
clarification often rises to 'a point of order' as a means of obtaining
the floor. The latter usage, which is based on practical grounds, should
not be confused with the raising of points of order under rule 73 [114]_*.

If Mr. Samuels' request is reviewed, it can be observed that the request
it is not directed to the President ‘/requesting him to make use of some
power inherent in his office or specifically given him under the rules
of procedure/', but he requests ‘/That the general assembly demonstrate
its lack of confidence in the LACRALO leadership and vote on this motion/’.

In simple terms, what Mr. Samuels says is a point of order, it's really
not. It is therefore not possible to give such treatment.

Regards