[lac-discuss-en] RV: Board Risk Committee Request for Feedback on Top 5 ICANN Enterprise Risks

asoto at ibero-americano.org asoto at ibero-americano.org
Sun Jan 18 15:20:05 UTC 2015

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: Re: RV: Board Risk Committee Request for Feedback on Top 5 ICANN Enterprise Risks
 From: asoto at ibero-americano.org

 I forgot a point on the risk classification, which is synthetically the following:

 1. Credits

 2. Legal

 3. Marketing / Prices

 4. Strategy

 5. Reputation

 Greetings!

 Alberto

 From: Alejandro Pisanty [mailto: apisanty at gmail.com]
 Posted on: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:39 a.m.
 To: Alberto Soto
 CC: LACRALO Spanish

 Alberto,

 Thanks for taking this initiative, productive and concrete.

 I think the issue we can better develop risk is the change in the model of governance that point out about the change in the rules of decision making GAC; would increase from consensus to voting and will "rub off" the Board.

 As isolated and punctual element is important, but much more if it is associated with a change in culture to produce a departure from the more general consensus.

 How would order other / as representatives of organizations LACRALO the risks we have identified so far? How do would compare with other orders (financial, IT security, etc.) has pointed Alberto?

 Alejandro Pisanty

 01/17/2015 22:35 GMT-06: 00 Alberto Soto <asoto at ibero-americano.org> :

 Alejandro and everyone. Discussion is always beneficial to bring these issues.I do not know if I could rely, very particular systemic risk in financial issues, although I admit that maybe we could get to determine a risk to produce a cascading effect within the organization.

 But we can propose risks.

 So we can quickly understand and perhaps propose something, partially quote the charter of the Board Risk Committee as set out in 2009:

 &quot;A: Monitoring risk management of ICANN as an organization, including the following:

 1. Review and advise on ICANN policies, plans and related risk management programs;

 2. Monitoring the effectiveness of risk management programs, including the management and control of operational risk;

 3. The monitoring of exposure to significant non-financial risk to ICANN and the steps taken to monitor and control such exposures;

 4. Keep informed about ICANN conditions and gaining familiarity with ICANN processes in order to identify potential risks and advise on future plans to address these risks, as appropriate; and

 5. Review other areas appropriate risk concentration.

 B: Monitoring operational activities including reviewing the information and monitoring the effectiveness of the management of operational activities such as:

 1. The effectiveness of the technology used by ICANN;

 2. The adequacy of the policies of ICANN business continuity; and

 3. Facing the changes in the business environment that may be important for ICANN operations. &quot;

 In addition to this charter, we must bear in mind that the issue of risk has been divided into:

 - Credits

 - Legal

 - Marketing / Prices

 - Reputation

 With that maybe we could focus on A.3 and B. in three points.

 And suggest as risks:

 - System Safety ICANN: The hacking of time recently Whois systems - wiki - CZDS. What technology are you using? It hurt a lot the reputation of ICANN.

 - Change in Board voting system to assimilate it to the GAC. Relates to the B.2. but the results go against the system of multiple stakeholders. If the foundation is that the GAC meets less often, and until today was more effective system of Board of ICANN, the GAC meets once a year and more assimilated to ICANN.

 - When the ICG was created only to certain components of the multi-stakeholder model was taken into account.As far as we were concerned, was not expected to ALAC send a participatory report. The individual user to which we represent is not within business continuity ICANN, IANA before the transition?

 I hope there is participation, and although we can not make a formal report LACRALO, maybe we can send suggestions individually. I say we can not formally make them not only by time, but because there are those who understand that there is no need for LACRALO make propositions. Are discussing a procedure thereon.

 Best Regards

 Alberto Soto