[lac-discuss-en] Net Neutrality

leonfelipe at sanchez.mx leonfelipe at sanchez.mx
Fri Feb 27 02:25:48 UTC 2015

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: Re: Net Neutrality
 From: leonfelipe at sanchez.mx

 Hello Alberto,

 Certainly at first seems positive. I want to be more cautious and wait out the full text of the resolution to analyze it in detail and see that may have potential implications in several respects.

 For example I worry that by qualifying as a public good, the state can claim and exercise leadership on it. If it is a principled democrtico State, may not be serious. If an authoritarian regime that does not respect human rights, change the vision.

 One of the questions I formulated me is with this new classification that sernms communications became prone to eavesdropping by agencies like the NSA? I do not know. Just ahla caution not to celebrate too soon until we have the details of the case.

 In the case of Mexico, to name a parallel scenario, the state in a given time may take control of the telecommunications infrastructure (being pblica) and control, under the justification of national security, and there were no communications to protect citizens against abuse. Again I reflect. In a state that respects human rights, the rule may well control the infrastructure and communications flow without the citizen had (much) to worry about. But in a state where respect for human rights is lax, to put it in some way, the preocupacin should be mayscula.

 I think the issue darpara much analysis, reflection and discussion in the months to come.

 Thanks for bringing us the note!

 Regards,

 Len