[lac-discuss-en] Answering questions for election ALAC Member

Humberto Carrasco hcarrascob at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:54:20 UTC 2015

Dear,

Through this email, we respond your questions and comments to the call
for the selection of the 2015-2017 ALAC Member from LACRALO replacing
Fatima Cambronero.

In this email, we answer the questions and comments made after the call
for elections dated August 6, 2015

We will resume the call with the respective corrections promptly.

Regards

Alberto y Humberto

*1.- To Antonio Medina’s questions;*

Is this process for the "selection" o "election”  of LACRALO
representative with the ALAC?
Election : It starts as if nothing would have existed before.

Is Lance Hinds a delegate of an accredited ALS?
yes, his ALS is DEVnet from Guyana.

For this new process, is Lance Hinds prevented from attending?
No, he is not prevented.

In affirmative case, is there any statement in this regard?
In negative case, can he be nominated?
He can be nominated

Are there any other ALSes prevented or ALSes representatives prevented
which cannot be nominated?

Only ALSes from Brazil and México cannot be nominated, as pointed out in
the call for nominations.

Is there something else we should know with anticipation so situations
as those occurred are not repeated?
The call for nominations will explain it.

*2.- To Alejandro Pisanty’s request *

Alejandro pointed out  that  the previous call for nominations left a
contentious point, which created a controversy in the recent suspended
voting process: “the determination of eligibility of candidates, in
particular in this case, the determination in case of possible
impairments due to unsolvable conflicts of interests”

We have analyzed the possibility to include this requirement, but  we
cannot find any explicit reference in the Operating Principles or RoPs.
Also, each candidate  shall complete  his Statement of Interest (SOI) ,
where it can be seen, if there is any  conflict of interest. In short,
it will be left to each voter’s judgement if any candidate has a
conflict of interest or not.

We think that  in the future we should include an explicit rule
regulating this issue in our organizing  documents.

*3.- To Fátima Cambronero’s request*

**Fátima pointed out two errors in the communication we sent. The first
one, to exclude the Argentinean nationality for a future candidacy  and
that  the  calculation of the timeframes was calendar days  not working
days.

Regarding  the first  point, we have debated this and understand that
although the norm is not absolutely clear, we shall proceed to adopt the
interpretation provided by  Fatima and therefore a candidate from
Argentina can be a candidate.

With regards to timeframes, they  will be adjusted to calendar days  and
the call for nominations will be re drafted in this sense.