[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Draft Proposal of the Principles and Mechanisms and the Process to Develop a Proposal to Transition NTIA's Stewardship of the IANA Functions

apisanty at gmail.com apisanty at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:56:58 UTC 2014

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: Fwd: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Draft Proposal of the Principles and Mechanisms and the Process to Develop a Proposal to Transition NTIA's Stewardship of the IANA Functions
 From: apisanty at gmail.com

 Colleagues,

 sure many of you would just get this message that is
 ask for opinions on a draft ALAC on principles and
 mechanisms and the process of developing a proposal for the
 transition ... [sic] IANA.

 I note that this draft is incremental on an earlier document
 ALAC establishing four parameters preserve stability
 Internet and ensuring a positive impact on Internet users.

 The new draft adds a sentence (still assuming that what
 I'm reading correctly) which calls for the "Steering Committee"
 or Steering Committee has proposed that ICANN does not exclude the formation and action
 a CCWG (Cross-Community Working Group) on the transition itself in
 IANA functions.

 While the issue is more procedural than substantive (ie not
 relates to the formulation of a policy but the procedure to get
 to formulate it), it seems of interest to discuss in LACRALO. It could happen
 there is a consensus position to guide the participation of
 our representatives and community members in ALAC, or that the
 discussion will help each organization to develop its own position.

 I find it useful, and therefore we propose and request that our
 representatives we explain this issue more broadly, and we do
 an assessment of existing CCWG, who prepared a paper for the event
 NetMundial.Once done the Presidency and Secretariat would lead one
 debate would evaluate the possibility of declaring a consensus, and there
 this orientaríamos our representatives and community members in
 ALAC to express it. Failure to find a consensus and the Presidency
 Secretariat would make the statement and leading each organization would
 be total freedom to express directly.

 As no-surprises policy, I advance a reserve position relative to
 CCWG mentioned so while we have not met the two-step
 nouns cited: better understand the proposal and its context, and evaluate the
 Existing CCWG.

 Conclude by saying that I think this is a good opportunity to see
 substantive background and all manifestations of ALS have been
 active in recent days in many different materials.

 Best Regards

 Alejandro Pisanty