[lac-discuss-en] R: VOTE RESULTS: 2014 Director-At-Large Board (Seat # 15) Selection Process

vanda at uol.com.br vanda at uol.com.br
Tue Apr 1 17:54:22 UTC 2014

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: Re: R: VOTE RESULTS: 2014 Director-At-Large Board (Seat # 15) Selection Process
 From: vanda at uol.com.br

 Roberto,
 I totally agree with you, having Been ALAC liaison Also at the Board. It
 is time to really rethink The entire model. I have some exchange being
 Ideas With Other former board members and would love to exercise some
 thoughts with you too. I believe AT Large has a great opportunity at ATLAS to
 present some good alternatives for ICANN model in the near future.
 Hope to count on Wolfgang ideas, too, always bringing relevant suggestions.
 All the best to all
 Vanda Scartezini
 Polo Consultores Associados
 Av Paulista 1159, 1004 cj
 01311-200 - Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
 Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
 Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464

 ----- Messaggio originale ----- &gt;&gt;
 Da &gt;&gt;: euro-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [mailto: discuss-euro-
 Bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org &gt;&gt;] Per conto di Sivasubramanian M
 >> Inviato: domenica 30 March 2014 18:27
 >> A: Kleinwchter, Wolfgang
 >> Cc: lac-discuss-en at atlarge-lists.icann.org, lac-discuss-es @ atlarge-
 Lists.icann.org &gt;&gt;; euro-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org;
 African-discuss &gt;&gt; @ atlarge-
 Lists.icann.org &gt;&gt;; Announcements At-Large; APRALO, At-Large Worldwide, na-
 Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org &gt;&gt;
 >> Oggetto: Re: [EURO-Discuss] [APAC-Discuss] [At-Large] VOTE RESULTS: 2014
 At-Large Board &gt;&gt; Manager (Seat # 15) Selection Process

 >> Dear Wolfgang,

 The original idea &gt;&gt; of nine Directors Voting was possibly conceived to
 Ensure &gt;&gt; an
 >> Independent, user driven organization. NomCom was a good idea but in
 The &gt;&gt;
 At-Large process &gt;&gt; lost the seats in the Board, in exchange for shared
 Responsibility &gt;&gt; in the selection process.

 A better representation &gt;&gt; for At-Large, as originally envisaged, would
 Positively &gt;&gt;
 ICANN Governance &gt;&gt; Demonstrate That is emphatically based on the multi-
 Stakeholder model of Governance &gt;&gt;.

 In the recent &gt;&gt; At-Large elections, info we have had an incumbent and Effective
 Four other qualified candidates &gt;&gt;, que goes on to prove That At-Large
 Has &gt;&gt;
 >> Matured, people sufficiently It has qualified for Board positions. As you
 Have &gt;&gt;
 Mentioned &gt;&gt;, info we have the GNSO user communities with qualified people,
 Which &gt;&gt; Increases the the number of available qualified candidates even
 More &gt;&gt;.
 In this context &gt;&gt;, if we revisit the discussions on more Board seats
 Which would &gt;&gt;
 ICANN's &gt;&gt; reaffirm faith in the multi-stakeholder model. Other
 Stakeholders &gt;&gt;
 Might welcome &gt;&gt; Such a discussion to Improve user participation in the
 >> Board,
 Essentially would &gt;&gt; porque Improve Trust in the ICANN process.

 Candidates &gt;&gt; More from At-Large Board positions to be appointed by Could
 Two &gt;&gt;
 Processes &gt;&gt; different:

 >> 1) By the Existing process whereby the AC selects / Elects a candidate
 And &gt;&gt;
 >> The chosen person is appointed. This introduce an election Which Could
 Sometimes create &gt;&gt; Differences, though Such Differences do not exist
 Within &gt;&gt;
 AC &gt;&gt; this at the moment.

 >> 2) By a process completely free of the Internal elections, by an
 Internal &gt;&gt;
 NomCom &gt;&gt;. (Initial thoughts, there are various ways of designing Such a
 >> Process, there are advantages and disadvantages to be Considered)

 Thank &gt;&gt; you.

 Sivasubramanian M &gt;&gt;
 India &gt;&gt;

 Wolfgang.kleinwaechter &gt;&gt; @ medienkomm.uni-halle.de&gt; wrote:

 >>> Hi,
 >>>
 >>> I also want to join the many thanks to Sebastian (great job), to
 Rinalia &gt;&gt;&gt; (great challenge) and Roberto and Tijani (well done).Nothing
 To add more &gt;&gt;&gt; what Veronica has said so nicely and well structured.

 I this &gt;&gt;&gt; context: Dont forget the History. In the present NTIA
 Transition &gt;&gt;&gt; a lot of discussion &quot;orginal ideas,&quot; from 1998 are
 >>> Remembered. One orginal thought was to give the nine At Large Membership
 >>> Voting seats. Article V, Section 4 of the Bylaws Orginal (November 6,
 >>> 1998) said in for. iv: &quot;Nine
 >>> (9) At Large Directors, selected pursuant to a process to be
 Established by a &gt;&gt;&gt; majority vote of all the members of the At Large Board
 The &gt;&gt;
 >> Initial Board &quot;.
 Http://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/bylaws/bylaws-06nov98- &gt;&gt;&gt;
 # &gt;&gt; En.htm
 V &gt;&gt;&gt;

 We &gt;&gt;&gt; know the history. ELECTED Were Five directors voting in 2000 for
 Two &gt;&gt;&gt; years. In November 2001 the At Large Membership Committee,
 Chaired &gt;&gt;
 >>> By Carl Bildt, recommended the establishment of an At Large Supporting
 Organisation &gt;&gt;&gt;
 >>> (ALSO) With the right to send six voting directors to the board.

 Http://archive.icann.org/en/committees/at-large/final-report-05nov01.h &gt;&gt;&gt;
 Tm &gt;&gt;&gt; # _toc523422641

 >>> In 2002, as part of the overall reform process ICANN the thoughts of an
 >>> At Large elections and the establishment of an ALSO with six regional
 Were Abolished and councils &gt;&gt;&gt; Were Substituted by an &quot;At Large Advisory
 Committee &gt;&gt; &quot;
 >>> (ALAC) WITH five RALOs, a certification process for ALS and the
 Establishment of a setName &gt;&gt;&gt; Which now sends eight directors to the
 >>> Board. The NomCom got five voting Members At Large. The chair of ALAC
 Was invited to serve &gt;&gt;&gt; as a non-votong liaison in the Board (similar to
 >>> The chair of the GAC).

 In the preparation for &gt;&gt;&gt; ATLAS I in Mexico in 2008 we where calling for
 ALAC &gt;&gt;&gt; two Board members voting. We got one. Now at the ATLAS II is
 >>> Horizon.We need a strong message from ATLAS II That the
 Multistakeholder model &gt;&gt;&gt; - which is now under discussion and have tough
 >>> To face its &quot;moment of truth&quot; - will work only, if you have a strong
 Civil society &gt;&gt;&gt; role in policy development and decision making.

 Here &gt;&gt;&gt; info we have to invest more how to do this and to go out of our silos
 Both &gt;&gt;&gt; Within the Broader CS community (in particular, with NCUC and
 NPOC &gt;&gt;&gt;) as well as in cross constituency communication, coordination and
 Collaboration with &gt;&gt;
 >>> Private sector technical community and Governments. A big
 >> Challenge. [ERROR: Sentence too long to translate (1916&gt; 1800 bytes)] We all continue building on our previous experiences, so
 This process &gt;&gt;&gt; Should be a continuous exercise and include Those who can
 >>> Learn from us - so, I am sure Sebastian will find good ways to share
 The wealth of expertise &gt;&gt;&gt; Gained in his role as a Board member and
 Continue &gt;&gt;&gt; serve the community in the best possible ways.

 >>> - Congratulate Rinalia * for * being ELECTED to the Board and wish her
 In this much luck &gt;&gt;&gt; interesting, yet, challenging new role. These are
 Important times for ICANN &gt;&gt;&gt; Which will require several key competences,
 >>> And awareness of geo-political realities in different parts of the
 World &gt;&gt;&gt;. I will be able Rinalia trust to deliver on the expectations on
 The &gt;&gt;
 >> Community-at-large.
 >>>
 >>> - * Roberto * Thank for the wonderful leadership of the BCEC - it has
 >>> Been For me, personally, a great experience. Like in any experience
 There are &gt;&gt;&gt; always things to learn from and based on the input Improve
 From &gt;&gt;
 >> Members.

 On this &gt;&gt;&gt; note, hope everyone attending ICANN 49 managed to return home
 >>> Safe &amp; sound, Otherwise, wishing you safe travels back home!

 With &gt;&gt;&gt; very best,
 Veronica &gt;&gt;&gt;

 >>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond
 >>> <ocl at gih.com

 I &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; wanted to extend my congratulations to Rinalia Abdul Rahim in what
 Was a very balanced &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; That election required many rounds to

 Rinalia &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; has-been selected by our community to sit on the Board at a
 Moment &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; That is not only crucial for At-Large But Also crucial for
 ICANN &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; as a whole. She will take her seat at the 2014 ICANN Annual
 General Meeting &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; - the last meeting of the year - which will take

 Through a wide &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; That candidate list we can a wider choice of ECOG

 Thanks to Roberto Gaetano &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and the Candidate Evaluation Board
 >> Committee.
 Their work &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; has-been crucial in providing a first class short-list of

 Thanks &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to Tijani Ben Jemaa and the Board Member Selection Process
 Committee for &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Their stewardship of a process That has-been

 The &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of These Committees work is not over. They will analyze lessons
 Learnt &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and work together to Provide the ALAC With An updated set of
 Improve &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; recommendations to the selection process next time around.

 Board Member &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; selected by the At-Large and is Sbastien Bachollet
 Challenging &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; months ahead of us.We are well aware That I is not on
 Selected &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to the Board by our community, has proven himself to have
 Share his experience of &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Internet End Users With His Colleagues Board
 And we are grateful &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of his continued Involvement in all matters of
 ICANN &gt;&gt;.

 Olivier &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; MJ Crpin-Leblond
 ALAC Chair &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

 Committee &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 Results of the Board &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Manager (Seat # 15) selected by the
 >> Published.

 This is to inform &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; You That the 2014 Director-At-Large Board (Seat
 # &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 15)
 Selection Process &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; was completed on 25-March-2014.

 Below is the &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; list of candidates (listed in alphabetical order of
 The &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

 * Abdul Rahim Rinalia &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 * Sbastien Bachollet &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 * Alan Greenberg &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 * Evan Leibovitch &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 * Jean-Jacques &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Subrenat

 After the FIRST ROUND &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; VOTE and the SECOND ROUND's first vote, tie
 Board &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; selected as the director (Seat # 15) by ALAC / At-Large for
 2015-2017 &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is: Rinalia Abdul Rahim.

 You May &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; review the results, as well as the detailed information
 Acerca &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 The &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; selection procedure, under:
 >>  https://community.icann.org/x/WinRAg.

 Heidi Ullrich &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Gisella Gruber,
 Nathalie &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 Peregrine and Terri Agnew &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
 ICANN Policy Staff &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; in support of ALAC
 3cmailto &gt;&gt;&gt;: staff at atlarge.icann.org&gt;
 Staff at atlarge.icann.org &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

 >>> <applewebdata://68497759-1B04-4F9B-84B7-
 B9445B8F305F/Regards &gt;&gt;,% 20Heidi%

 20Ullrich &gt;&gt;,%% 20Vivanco 20Silvia,% 20Ashtiani 20Matt%,%% 20Liang 20Ariel,% 20G
 20Gruber &gt;&gt;&gt; isella%,%

 20Peregrine 20Nathalie% &gt;&gt;% 20and% 20Julia 20ICANN%%% 20Charvolen 20Policy
 % 20St &gt;&gt;
 Aff &gt;&gt;&gt;% 20in% 20Support% 20of% 20ALACmailto: staff at atlarge.icann.org

 At-Large &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org &lt;
 Http://atlarge.icann.org/ &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

 Homepage &gt;&gt;&gt; for the region: http://www.euralo.org

 Homepage &gt;&gt;&gt; for the region: http://www.apralo.org

 >> -
 Sivasubramanian Muthusamy &gt;&gt;