[lac-discuss-en] Press ISOC Peru on internet situation in Venezuela

eiriarte at alfa-redi.org eiriarte at alfa-redi.org
Sat Mar 1 02:17:34 UTC 2014

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: Press ISOC Peru on internet situation in Venezuela
 From: eiriarte at alfa-redi.org

 The Internet is an instrument of democracy: acts of censorship against # ddhh affect

 Internet is an instrument for the exercise of human rights, and therefore an instrument of democracy, allows us access to informacinpblica, the free exercise of freedom of religion and creed ascomo the politician full exercise of freedom of expression. Any form of locking policies, racial, sexual option reasons, among others, under assumptions of national security, without due process based on the presumption of innocence and the full respect for human rights is alien to DEMOCRATIC life of any country.

 In Venezuela:

 1.We know for sure that are locked at the level of order or threat DNS Controller (CONATEL) on pain of losing the concession to act as ISPs, sites that mention The exchange rate of the dollar parallel based on a Ilcitos Foreign Exchange Act (now repealed), to prohibit in any media mention the parallel rate.

 Two. We know, for words of the government, both in TV (out of cable TV systems), and on the Internet, estbloqueado Colombian news channel NTN24.

 Three. We suspect, but we can confirm that you are locked NO dozens of news sites, covered in art. 27 of the Law on Social Responsibility in Radio, TV and Media Electrnicos, considering the government's information site such as generating anxiety. We have tried to locate the Travs informacina but fear ISPs provide it.

 April. We know that the Internet infrastructure (pblica and private) estdefectuosa inversiny for lack of maintenance, however, has increased the number of connected users, and the amount of data processed hese, which in some cases generates network collapses sites or servers.Not to mention problems like Tchira which had no internet but had no electrical energy and water! more to block a server, that many years ago in San Cristobal the hourly electric energy goes, that's part of what is annoying.

 May. Much of Internet traffic at times of peak traffic is generated because of censorship or self-censorship imposed on TV channels and radio stations, causing people to have to go to internet massively as nico means of information.

 6. It does not help the situation that critics moments as described ESTN hackers attacking the government with denial of service, helping to collapse ANMS little network we have.

 As the above, we demand immediate cessation of government actions of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela against ddhh, especially the freedom of expression, in the form of content control, blocking websites, impairment Internet access, ascomo any act that violates civil liberties.

 Lima, 28 February 2014

 Erick Iriarte
 President
 ISOC Peru