[lac-discuss-en] FW: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the At-Large Name Collision Proposal to Mitigate Risks

apisan at unam.mx apisan at unam.mx
Tue Aug 20 01:42:44 UTC 2013

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: FW: CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the At-Large Name Collision Proposal to Mitigate Risks
 From: apisan at unam.mx

 Colleagues,
 just in time to complement the proposed study and manifest in collision risk on new gTLDs aquincluyo message arrives. It is a call for comment on the study by Interisle on mitigation of this risk. I will try to contribute something of information and criteria that I hope will be useful:

 Interisle is a consulting company in which one of the main participants is Lyman Chapin, a veteran of the IETF, former ICANN board member, co-founder of the Internet Society, and many other awards of merit relevant . I had the pleasure of working with him in the Evolution and Reform Committee that made the restructuring of ICANN around 2003 and can attest that it is an honest professional, scholar, respected, highly knowledgeable about the Internet and tecnologabsica DNS special, and constructive.

 The Interisle study on the risk of collisions with other names gTLDs focuses on the similarity or identity that can arise between a new gTLD domain names and class only used in local networks or systems intended to operate as systems closed. A typical example of these names is presented in local networks operated with Microsoft Windows.

 The study found that Shay high risk of some of these collisions and their impact can be significant in some cases. For example, you can have a network that becomes construycerrada PUBLIC, revealing its resources and content urbi et orbi.

 It is important to read the study and, if necessary, is a great opportunity to invite the technicians of their organizations or their suppliers to aid them in comprensiny evaluation of the report. Sse gets pretty technician at times but well written and explained estmuy, asque l can extract valuable information even without dominating it 100%.

 Once everyone form their own judgment, or have your organization - in ISOC Mexico we just make available for the partners - you can better understand the discussion on the wiki ALAC (whose URL in the message Annex / included) and propose modifications to the proposed manifestacinpblica ALAC. In sta critic is a message to the Board that do not share at all, and I think we can add a message requesting the Board to order the Staff communicate warnings to the relevant stakeholders who may be affected, both current gTLD Applicants as the companies under whose rules or technologies are built potentially affected networks. If we can do besides comment on the methods of mitigation proposed in the report.

 Seriously propose that we apply to this task as it is substantive, it serves to motivate LACRALO ALS internal discussions, and produces learning for our community.

 The short deadlines so someone - I propose that the Presidency is secreted together with - should manage the process so that we contribute a comment collective LACRALO before Prximo August 21 at 2359 UTC.We have two good morning to accomplish.

 Alejandro Pisanty

 ---------------------------
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
 Faculty of Chemistry UNAM
 3000 University Avenue, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

 +52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

 SMS +525541444475 +525541444475 FROM MEXICO
 Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
 Join the LinkedIn group UNAM, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
 ---- >> Join ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org