[lac-discuss-en] Answers to questions posted on the WIKI for the NomCom position

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Jun 27 11:22:25 UTC 2013

I've posted on the wiki, but decided to send also via email

Thanks

Jacqueline

Cintra Sooknanan: 1) What do you think you can add to the NOMCOM
representation on behalf of Lacralo ?

I believe that the NomCom representatives need to have:

1) Deep and broad knowledge of ICANN, its processes and organisation structure,
in order to best determine the needs of theorganisation. I've been involved
in  Internet governance since 2002 and ICANN since 2005. I've focused on
the ALAC, but have also worked across the organisation.

2) Knowledge and experience in evaluating applicants for leadership
positions.  I've got experience in organizational management and strategy,
as well as human resource management, I worked for 2 years as a headhunter
in the Caribbean region, so have experience in finding and
evaluating applicants,

3) Ability to find consensus among diverse groups to find the best
candidates to support ICANN's strategy, policy development and processes.
I've worked with people across ICANN, I've worked in teams and successfully
collaborated with people of all cultures and regions.

Cintra Sooknanan: 2) Do you think Lacralo's representation in the nomcom has
been effective? What are some areas of improvement and how can you effect
this ?

Yes and no. LACRALO has had some very effective representatives in the
past, who have fought for the inclusion of the point of view of the LAC
region to be considered. One of the problems has been lack of enough viable
candidates from the region. There needs to be more outreach, identification
and recruitment of quality candidates so that the NomCom has more to choose
from and the representative does not have to work so hard to convince the
committee of the ability of the candidate to do the job. I can assist in
this via my previously noted experience with recruitment, as well as my
contacts in the region, in business, academia and the media.

Cintra Sooknanan: 3) Do you think that the NOMCOM should be completely
independent of ICANN so that judgments are made on candidates' applications
alone?

The NomCom was created to fill positions within ICANN, therefore it cannot
be totally divorced from ICANN. The job is to find persons for leadership
positions in ICANN. To do this effectively, the NomCom needs to know the
needs of the various SOs and ACs of ICANN, as well as the vision and goals
of each part as well as the whole of ICANN. One cannot fill positions in a
vacuum of knowledge about the positions and the organisation. However,
within ICANN, the NomCom is effectively independent. None of theorganisation of
ICANN, its Board or its Staff has attempted to influence the decisions of
the committee. However, this independence needs to be jealously guarded, as
lobbying (allowed activity) can easily go overboard. It is important that
the representatives appointed to the NomCom are persons of the
highest personal integrity.

Cintra Sooknanan: 4) In ICANN which is largely dominated by North
Americans, how passionate are you about ensuring that members of the Latin
American and Caribbean region are selected to facilitate the
internationalization of ICANN? In particular can LACRALO rely on your
commitment to lobby for and defend the inclusion of Latin American and
Caribbean candidates in all positions?

I am very passionate about inclusion of people from the region. I joined
ICANN to work towards this, worked tirelessly to create the RALOs, and when
I sat on the NomCom, worked to support and encourage candidates from the
region. So, yes, LACRALO can rely on my commitment to so do.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 1. Cómo ven las reglas de elección y qué
cambiaría de las mismas.

Not sure what this refers to in regard to the NomCom, as there is no
election, the ALAC requests candidates and recommendations from the region
and makes the decision as to whom they will appoint.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 2. Cómo haría para que estos procesos nos dejen
un LACRALO unido y no cada vez más fragmentado?

Again, I don't see the relevance of the question in regard to the NomCom,
but in general, there needs to be deep and true respect among the members
of the LACRALO, not simply tolerance. There are many preconceptions held
about members of the group, and many cliques. A great deal of this is due
to language barriers, and the natural preference of people to group with
those of like culture.

There are also deep disagreements about the role and place of the LACRALO.

Carlos Vera - ISOC Ecuador: 3. Afirmo la pregunta 2 de Cintra y apoyo la
misma. Me parece clave el análisis del rol jugado y lo que se debe mejorar

Fatima Cambronero: PREGUNTA: ¿Qué experiencia tiene dentro de algún comité
de selección en la región y cómo piensa que sea relevante para el desempeño
de su rol en el NomCom?

As noted previously, I worked as a headhunter in the region for a couple of
years. In this role, I worked with over 100 "selectioncommittees" to place
over 200 persons in positions in organisations in the region. I also was a
member of the BCEC that recommended the short list of candidates for the
first ALAC Board seat, and I sat as the Associate Chair of the NomCom for 1
year and as an ALAC representative for a year. At the University of
Trinidad and Tobago, where I work, I have also been requested to sit on
several interview committees for hiring purposes.

No sería conveniente otro cargo, otra participación en las reuniones, como
experiencia previa para el cargo del que estamos hablando? Es decir,
aquellas participaciones activas que nos dan el conocimiento necesario de
normas, procedimientos, etc, para poder aportar opiniones fundadas, sobre
los postulantes que debe seleccionar el NOMCOM, los que sí tienen que tener
esos conocimientos?"

I previously noted my experience in ICANN, my experience in Internet
Governance and my experience in the region. I think this broad experience
qualifies me to be an excellent representative on the NomCom

Lance hinds: As a follow up to Cintra's question, please share what
strategies each of you will employ to ensure the inclusion of Latin
American and Caribbean in all positions.

Strategies need to include:

1) Broad dissemination of the opportunities

2) Personal appeals to quality candidates

3) Support of candidates, including assistance in learning about ICANN, its
processes and organisation for new candidates

4) Building a consensus of support among the other members of the NomCom
Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann <http://twitter.com/chrislehmann> )