[lac-discuss-en] Questions to the ICANN community on Accountability and Transparency within ICANN

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu May 16 04:00:07 UTC 2013

*

Dear All,

The second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2) had a
webinar on May 15 2013. See wiki page at
https://community.icann.org/x/2Bp-Ag

This webinar focused on the importance of the RALOs to answer questions
being asked by the ATRT2.

The ATRT2 operates under the mandate of the Affirmation of Committments
(AoC) which contains provisions for periodic review of key ICANN objectives
by Review Teams. The ATRT2's is considering

the extent to which assessments and actions undertaken by ICANN have been
successful in ensuring that ICANN is acting transparently, is accountable
for its decision-making, and acts in the public interest.

See AoC (English) :

http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/aoc/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm

or AoC (Spanish)

http://www.icann.org/es/about/agreements/aoc/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-es.htm

To date, there have been three Review Teams which conducted their reviews
and made recommendations to ICANN :

1) the first Accountability & Transparency Review Team (ATRT1) Final Report
and Recommendations, dated

31 December 2010 :

https://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/atrt/final-recommendations-31dec10-en.pdf

https://www.icann.org/es/about/aoc-review/atrt/final-recommendations-31dec10-es.pdf

2) Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS Review Team (SSR RT) Final
Report and Recommendations, dated 20 June 2012

http://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/ssr/final-report-20jun12-en.pdf

http://www.icann.org/es/about/aoc-review/ssr/final-report-20jun12-es.pdf<https://www.icann.org/es/about/aoc-review/ssr/final-report-20jun12-es.pdf>

3) WHOIS Policy Review Team (WHOIS RT) Final Report and Recommendations
dated 11 May 2012

https://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/whois/final-report-11may12-en.pdf

https://www.icann.org/es/about/aoc-review/whois/final-report-11may12-es.pdf

The ATRT2 has prepared several questions for the ICANN community (including
At-Large) to answer regarding :

1) the extent to which the ICANN Board and Staff has implemented the
recommendations from the three Review Teams

2) whether those Review Team’s recommendations and ICANN’s implementation
have resulted in the desired improvements to ICANN's Accountability and
Transparency.

3) any other issues related to ATRT2 's scope that the ATRT2 should focus
on during its review.

You can read the questions at

http://www.icann.org/about/aoc-review/atrt/community-questions-02apr13-en.pdf

http://www.icann.org/es/about/aoc-review/atrt/community-questions-02apr13-es.pdf

It is important for At-Large to answer the ATRT2’s questions by May 31 2013
to guide the ATRT2’s work and activities for this year. We can decide not
to answer all questions if we have no suggestions.  I will suggest that the
LACRALO secretariat create an appropriate page on the LACRALO wiki to
collect answers from LACRALO members if LACRALO wants to submit answers to
the ATRT2’s questions. The At-Large wiki page on this topic can be found at
https://community.icann.org/x/5wF-Ag